Writing for Myself | Teen Ink

Writing for Myself

By the_remedy292 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
the_remedy292 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Write as a gift to others."-John Green

All my life, I've loved to write, I wrote my first "novel" at the age of 11, not that it was particularly good, and all the while, I thought of my name on a flap of a hardcover book. I thought of how it would be amazing to be a published author this young. I thought about what people would think of my writing, and it made me feel horrible. You see all these authors who say "Oh, I didn't write for fame, it just became what it was." And maybe that's true to some extent, but I've always dreamed of having a well known book. I just always wanted it, and society tells me it's not right, that you write the ideas you have, and what happens to that doesn't matter. One of my favorite authors said that you should write as a gift to other people. People also say that it doesn't matter what other people think, that you should write for yourself, and I don't think I subscribe to either of those theories. To feel good about my writing, I need opinions, criticisms and praise, if that makes me a bad writer, so be it, but I highly doubt it. In general, I write for the world, for others. I write so that people can hear and see my ideas, and my creativity. After a couple years of being afraid to ask what people think about what I write, I am saying no to the stereotypes about authors not caring what other people think about their writing. I care, and I want to know what you think, what I don't care about is what people think about me. This is how I roll.

A piece I wrote about writing.

Write for anyone or no one, don't be afraid to ask.

Meli14 BRONZE said...
Meli14 BRONZE, Othello, Washington

"god is love, and love is real"

Greatt woww! loveed it! please rate mine thanks.