All About The Place | Teen Ink

All About The Place

September 16, 2010
By Ashley2011 BRONZE, Franktown, Colorado
Ashley2011 BRONZE, Franktown, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Go Big or Go Home!"


I sat at work, contemplating whether it was worth leaving just to get home. I struggled to answer my own question. The night was stormy and the road was limited on visibility. A huge snow storm had accumulated while I was working, I didn’t know if I could face the treacherous road ahead. After being reassured by my manager, I decided I would take my time, crawling through the snow, and make it home safely. I got on the road, and found some tracks, planted my tires firmly in them, and didn’t look back. My heart was pounding; I wanted everything to be fine. An SUV soon pulled out in front of me, and made my sight easier, to watch her tail lights in the distance. I followed her to the merge after the light at Ponderosa, and she went in front of me. She must have been getting comfortable with the driving conditions because she took off, over the hill, her tail lights out of my view. I kept at my own pace, I needed to stay cautious. As I came to the peak of the hill, my eyes reconnected with her tail lights, I felt a sense of security again. In a split second, her brakes lights radiated the brightest red, and her car jerked right. I could just imagine her sliding down that hill, all I could do was freeze. Quickly her lights dimmed again, being hidden by the sideways snow, and I saw her car veer to the left, across the oncoming traffic lane. She hit the edge of the road, it dipped down, and so did her car. Her car bounced out of the slight ditch and went rolling up the hill. My car was stopped, I couldn’t move, I was numb. Her car was not stopped, it was not done ripping her every direction, knocking her unconscious, no, it had not done enough damage. The car turned as it hit the top of the hill, coming back down right towards my car. I could see nothing more than headlights coming right for the driver side window. Still, I could not move, if this was my fate, I would not interrupt. Her car came veering down the hill, with nothing in its path but me. Again, her car hit the slight ditch, and jumped out, no wheels on the ground. Her, with no control, she flew through the air, coming back to the road her tires slowed down. The car parked, t-bone to mine, with not even enough room to get out of my car. I looked, the car was turned off, all I could see, was her, this innocent victim, hanging over her steering wheel.


The author's comments:
A scary experience for myself. Yet, a great learning opportunity. I will never be the same behind the wheel.