Last Step on Solid Ground | Teen Ink

Last Step on Solid Ground

August 31, 2010
By emmali BRONZE, Alamosa, Colorado
emmali BRONZE, Alamosa, Colorado
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

On the drive up, I didn’t really think too much about it. Now, standing on the edge of the cliff, I can’t remove the thought from my mind.

A group of us decided we wanted to go cliff diving before the weather was too cold or windy. So, I figured in on the time, date, etc. I had been able to hitch a ride with some friends. We were all talking about various subjects on the way up, but not really about what we were about to do.

Once we hiked the half mile trail, we arrived at the cliffs. There are different heights all along the side of the cliffs, ranging from five feet to forty feet. I looked down from the forty foot drop thinking it would be a piece of cake. However, I figured I would work my way up, I decided to start at the twenty foot.

It was then, the few seconds before I took that last few steps off the edge, that I finally realized how frightened I really was. I had to remember to jump far enough out and stay pin straight so it wouldn’t hurt when I landed. The water might take my breath away because of its temperature, and not to think about how deep the water is (Did I mention my phobia of deep water?).

I put myself in the mercy of gravity and went for it. I remember feeling like I left my stomach at the top, and my heart pounding like a drum in a heavy metal song. I struck the chilling water and was fully immersed in a matter of seconds. Thinking I would ice over if I didn’t get out soon I rush to the surface gasping for air. I don’t think I have ever been so aware of how much I loved the oxygen until now. I swam as quickly as I could to the spot where we get out. I climb back to the top where the sun bathed the rock. I wanted to lay on the warm rocks, instead I convinced another friend to try. I was shivering, not only from the cold but also from the adrenaline coursing through my body.

I realized that sometimes what you seem to be terrified of can turn out to be tons of fun. That last step of the solid rock beneath my feet, the pit in your stomach when you’re falling, or even that feeling of being engrossed in freezing water and rushing to the top for a quick breath is totally worth trading for the little bit of fear I had at the start. Now on to something higher.


The author's comments:
This was an english assignment that was supposed to show something that we thought was a memorable time in our life.