Hearts and Minds | Teen Ink

Hearts and Minds

By Ashley Milner BRONZE, St. Charles, Illinois
Ashley Milner BRONZE, St. Charles, Illinois

The ongoing war between a lady's heart and her overriding mind gives her too much time for reason and very little time for tranquility. She reasons until she has racked the perimeter of her brain for hours on end, just to come around in a complete circle and end up being no better off then when she started. And how is one supposed to let their heart soar when at every moment there is an obstacle cutting at its wings? Trust and loyalty are just words in the mouths of faux enemies, and there is no one that is worthy of ones unconditional trust; even oneself. For the cycle returns to the disagreement of ones heart and mind, where one cannot trust the impractical, fantasy based heart, nor the inhuman utopian mind which expects more out of a person than is able to be given.

I watched the movie, "Becoming Jane", which is the story of Jane Austen. This is the big idea I got out of it, and the wording in this peice reminds me so much of the language in this movie. This also comes out of personal experiences and ideas.