Waiting My Turn | Teen Ink

Waiting My Turn

Learning to share and take turns is a necessity. One of those necessities you learn back in Kindergarten, atleast if you plan on staying away from time out that is. Most kids don't have a problem sharing with their friends, family, and even strangers. I wasn't one of those kids. I have always been more of the jealous type. Over the transition from Kindergarten to High School a lot has changed.

Starting in 6th grade my mom got her first boyfriend since my parents got a divorce many years ago. I was happy for her, I never truly understood how lonely she was. She started skipping my school events to be with her new bo. I wasn't used to being pushed aside for someone else.. My mom started leaving for the night and not comming home until early morning. This turned into leaving for the weekend, and soon after leaving for weeks at a time.

Starting to feel unloved and forgotten, I became depressed. I got so angry that I would ignore her when she came home from these trips; hoping she would leave again. It worked. I refused to talk to her about it because I didn't want to take away her only happiness. I felt replaced. After two years of this, their relationship ended. I wish I would have talked to my mom about this while it was going on, because the resentment I built up for the past few years has put a huge strain on our relationship. She has had a few more boyfriends since that break-up, and learning to take the advice I was given as a child has become easier. Jealousy is a natural thing; but too much of it will still land you in a time out, no matter what age you are.

This is my first.. story in a long time. It's rather choppy and amature. But I tried. (: