And The Worm Crawled Along This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

It was dying, I was sure. Such tiny things, they can be killed so easily. I watched the worm crawl along, its body spasming in pain or confusion. I had to ask myself, what was it feeling? Did it feel at all? I don’t know. All I knew was that it was dying and I couldn’t stop it. A situation so out of control. A slick sidewalk. A slick road. A car crash. A death. More deaths. Happening everywhere at once. People dying. People grieving. People moving on with their lives. The world keeps spinning though. No one stops to think about it. They just keep moving along, so fast. So oblivious. My eyes follwed the worm on its treachorous race to death. It’s body was slowing. It’s spasms were fading. So close, I could see it. Feel it. Smell it on the air. Do people feel when they are about to die? Do they have time to say their goodbyes but choose to ignore their fate? Out of fear. Out of love. Out of hate. The beating of my heart was strong and steady. Pounding through my ears. Throbbing in my veins. The life that was so apparent in me was almost completly gone from the small creature in front of me. I wondered if it had a heart to hear beating. If it was scared. I scooped it up into my hands, and placed it in the rain moisened soil. It did not move except for a twitch. The smallest hint of life. That was that. The end. Farewell. I got up to leave, rain drops begining to fall again. It was inevetable, the death. All death. But then I saw the worm move again…and again. Then it stretched, almost languidly, and slithered back underground. Back to life! And I smiled, because I knew then that life was just as unpredictable as death and fate was just a word.
Life is a circle of never ending coincidences.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Beautifully said. I loved reading this. Death is so complicated, beautiful but sad. People, animals, plants, and bugs die all the time and we don't even think about it. Strange.

Please read my article concerning (to a certain degree) death.

matticus replied...
Thank you for the wonderful compliment! I will make sure to read your article.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 3:28 am
Short, but descriptive. Good work.

matticus replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 10:47 am
Thank you :)