But It's Only One Year

When I first met you, you were a freshman, I was in eigth grade. I thought you were so mature, but it was only one year difference.
I saw you growing up right before my eyes, and I felt young and vulnerable. but, it was only one year difference.
Your sophomore year came around, you were driving now. I didn't even have a permit, again, you made me feel young and vulnerable. I kept telling myself I just needed my own time to grow up a bit, after all, it was only one year difference.
You became a junior, and our maturity differences become noticeable to everyone. I'd seen them for years, I kept my mouth shut to keep you around longer. You were so eager to grow up, so eager to let go of your freedom. I couldn't understand why. But, I knew I would soon enough, because it's only one year apart.
Today, you become a senior in highschool. I've finally caught up to you maturity wise, it's going to be a good year. You applied for college yesterday, a college three and half hours away. I keep telling myself we'll be okay, because it's only one year.
So, tell me why, I still feel so afraid. So, tell me why, only one year feels like only one eternity?

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

JustKeepFalling said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 12:24 pm:
this is an awesome story!! you have a talent in writing and you should keep it up =)