Just Dance | Teen Ink

Just Dance

June 4, 2010
By Anonymous342 BRONZE, Menifee, California
Anonymous342 BRONZE, Menifee, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dance to inspire, not to impress"


Just Dance.


I was nervous while I was waiting. Suddenly, bright lights, special effects, and loud music. I realized that I was daydreaming and woke myself up.
Glad it’s not my time to dance yet. My family dropped my dad and I off backstage.
“Good luck Jophiel!” my mom cried out. “Remember, don’t look at the audiences or us, just pretend you’re the only one dancing and don’t be nervous, ok? You make us so proud.”
“Thanks,” was all I could answer.
They said their “good lucks” one more time and then made their way to the auditorium. I went backstage to meet my dance group and to get ready. While back there, I saw my friend looking and smiling at me. I couldn’t figure out what was going on until, all of a sudden, a tap of my shoulder made me jump. I looked back to see who it was. I was so surprised- it was one of my best friends from the Philippines. We hugged and then my other friend came up to me and told me about the surprise.
“One minute everyone!” we heard the stage hand yell out.
“Oh crap! Sorry Gerald! We really have to get to the stage! See you later! Bye!” I shouted.
I watched him turn toward the auditorium as my friend and I got ready for our performance.

“You missed him, didn’t you?” my friend asked while smiling. “Of course you did, you haven’t seen each other for 4 years, dude.”
“Hmmmmm, can’t tell you!” I smiled back.
Finally, we got to our places. By the time we got there, my dance group was talking to our dance instructor. “Finally!” the group yelled out, “you guys are here!” we were waiting for you!”
“Remember guys!” our instructor got our attention, “Just smile and have fun!”

As I listened to what he said, I realized right then that when I grow up, I want to be a dancer.
I was daydreaming again. Crap.
I snapped out of my reverie so quick that it felt like I got bit by a big ant on my cheek. The instructor was looking at me.
“Jophiel! Got it?!” Mike, my instructor noticed that I was a thousand miles away.
“Uhm, yeah, Mike sorry.” I mumbled. “God, I need sugar, coffee, or something to wake me up and not to daydream anymore!” I woke myself up again by slapping my face a couple times without anyone noticing.
Shortly after that, it started-the curtains went up slowly while the music began to play. Bright lights flashed on, and my favorite part began to play. Without delay, the special effects kicked on. And we started doing our part on the stage. A minute later in the performance, we had to freestyle but I got nervous because I couldn’t decide what move to do. Instinctively, I made my decision-I did the arm wave.
I was shocked, like I just got hit in the chest when the audiences started clapping and yelling, “Woooo!”
“I was proud of myself, because before I still wasn’t that good at the arm wave. Obviously, I had improved. While performing, I felt like my body was a wire. A moment later, began my other favorite part of the routine. This part of the number, someone is controlling you like a doll and sometimes you add a “popping” move to their routine. Well, tragically, while my partner and I were dancing, I began daydreaming again. Suddenly, I woke up again and realized that I made the wrong move. All of us are supposed to kneel down while a boy from the group is freestyling. Well, instead of him only freestyling, I’m also standing and freestyling while the others were kneeling.
“Craaaaaap!” I thought to myself, “I’m gonna get so in trouble after this! Oh well! The show must go on!”

As I looked around for my dance instructor, I finally found him in the audience, smiling and giving me a thumbs up. I was shocked!

We only had one more minute until our number was finished, so we continued dancing and dancing and having fun. Finally, our number was complete. Once the music stopped, we all ran to the backstage, so we could change for the finale. As we were changing, I could hear people clapping and whistling man, I was so proud of myself and so happy that I chose to be a dancer.

As soon as we were dressed for the finale, we rushed onto the stage again. At that very moment, the host was speaking to the audience, “Thank you for coming to our annual recital. Hope you guys had fun watching our dancers and have a good day!”

Our recital was over! Afterwards I was walking from the backstage with my friend.

“Whew! That was fun! I feel like a dancer now. Anyway, where the heck is your family? Wait are we gonna eat outside? Or at your house? Because I’m freaking hungry!” my friend couldn’t stop chatting-I think it was nerves.

“Dude! Freaking shut up! Gah! You’ll get your food once you shut up. Wait! There they are!” I rushed towards then and saw my best friend again. I felt like I was in heaven seeing my best friend again.

“Wow! Now I’ve finally seen you dance! Your freaking awesome, dude! Your moves were better then mine! I’m so proud of you! Come on! Show me some of your moves!” Gerald demanded.

“Haha! You’re a dancer too remember?? But ok!”

“Wow!” I thought to myself, “I really love being a dancer!”