Bouncing off the Bumps | Teen Ink

Bouncing off the Bumps

You know, today I was talking with a friend, and he asked what how I was doing. I told him that I was just taking life as it came, counting every day and holding on to every moment. You aren’t ever going to get time back, and so you have to make it worth it. Life is a journey; if we never had bad times then the good times wouldn’t be special. If we never felt heartbreak we wouldn’t know a good thing when we had it. My sister said something about not wanting to waste her childhood and holding off on things until later, and all I could think is this. Later is an excuse. Now is why we are here. If I spent every moment planning my life out, I would have no fun. Don’t worry about what is yet to happen when you have so much to enjoy right now. We are so lucky in life, to have families and friends and people here to be for us. And even if I were magic, and could see the future, I wouldn’t want to. Life is about taking the bumps and bouncing off of them. Things happen, but dealing with them is what defines you. No two people react to a situation the same way, and you don’t want to be the one that falls behind and doesn’t go out and have fun. You want to be the one who takes it, and sees the glass half full. Be the one that people look up to, the one that people wonder how you do it even in the worst times. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Be the smile.

A friend of mine was having trouble with facing what might happen in the years to come, and this was the advice I gave her.