Shadows

The boardwalk is 14 feet wide and 3 miles long. The planks, cut diagonally, fit together in the middle, making it look like a long braid. There is a streetlight every 20 feet.
I find myself here one Sunday evening about 8 o'clock, walking my little white Maltese. I catch myself thinking about who I am, what I am. A romantic beach on my right, I lose myself in love stories, written in the ink of my mind. Then a car horn blares, and I cringe, looking on my left, reminding myself of the reality of living in a city. I stroll down the middle line of the walk, symbolic of where I am in life. Am I a writer of romance, or a Manhattan misfit? I look at the long shadows in front of me, and decide to consult my own.
I pass a light, and I see Kathleen, A Common Princess, longing for her knight. The shadow fades, and I am in darkness for a moment.
I pass another lamp, and I see Abigail Smith, a city girl accidentally turned cowgirl. I pass another light, and see pregnant Jessica Albright, who has no one but God to turn to.
A last light, and I see Kathryn Woods, a queen stuck between two worlds. I identify most with her.
Another streetlight, and I see Marissa G., with frizzy, uncontrollable hair, acne, and size 12 jeans, unsure of what the future will bring.
My shoulders sag as I'm more confused than ever. I'm still stuck between two worlds. I look up and see my beautiful bridge, decked out with lights. No, I think. Three worlds. The city's world, my world, and God's world. I look at my shadow again, seeing what God sees. I saw a tiara, beautiful hair, no blemishes, and a ballgown. He saw a princess. I straighten my shoulders, stand upright, and stick my chin out a little. I walk my Maltese, looking up at the sky. Towards my Father. Towards my home.

CarrieAnn13 said...
Excellent work!  My only real criticism is that you shouldn't have to explain that the people you see are characters in your author's comments.  It should be evident in the article itself.  Other than that, great work! :)

SunnySummers said...
I just had a random comment. All of the people who commented on this (besides the author) have names that sort of fit together: SunnySummers, winterdrifts, and SpringRayyn!

GzusFreak10 replied...
Hehe. Very cute, Sunny. Now all we need is Autumn something or other. lol

AutumnRedd replied...
Yeah do I work?

SpringRayyn said...
Dec. 30, 2010 at 12:13 am
That's so cool! I like all your charecteres. It feels like a dream, not even like you maede it up, just seriously a dream you had. i like the ending a lot.

GzusFreak10 replied...
Thanks! It really did happen! I was just taking a walk with my parents, feeling like i didn't fit in anywhere, and the rest, as they say, is history. Check out some of my other articles, if you liked this one! :)

SpringRayyn replied...
I shall do so.

GzusFreak10 replied...
Oh goodness, u really remind me of a lot of my friends--including me! U POSITIVE ur not from NY? lol. :)

SpringRayyn replied...
Haha definetly NOT. I'm from MN.

winterdrifts said...
WOW i really liked that! I loved how you incorporated all of your main characters into the same setting...i want to read the other stories! also, really good description and portrayal of the characters. keep writing :)

GzusFreak10 replied...
Thanks! I actually forget a couple of the plot lines that i told about, and one of them I want to publish professionally, so I'm not sure if you'll get to read them on teenink, but if I remember any of them, I'll definitely post a couple. Thanks for the imput! I definitely will keep writing! :)

SunnySummers said...
Hey I thought this was really good!! You have to publish those stories, though, with the characters you were refering to!! I can't wait to read those too!! <3 this one!! (And you're not a misfit! You're a great friend and a pretty good writer!)

GzusFreak10 replied...
Thanks for the compliments! I would publish some of the stories, but as u can probably tell, not all of them are completely God-honoring. I realized that halfway thru some of them, and i jsut stopped, 'cuz I want all my stuff to be pleasing to God. However, the thing w/ Kathryn is practically finished, but i wanna publish it as an actual book, not an article on the site. I'm still working on A Common Princess. When they come out, you guys will be the first to know! Thanks for thinking i'm such a... (more »)