Nonconformity's Dependence on Paradox

I am not a leader. I am not original. I am not unique. I AM a conformist. The difference I find in my life compared to society is so minscule that it is nearly nonexistent. I am a follower. I am just a follower who happens to follow unconventional leaders. That is how I stand out, and I guess that is also how I blend in. With nonconformity, I suppose, comes inevitable paradox. Like that scene kid who just wants to be different, yet he still wears black skinny jeans. Just like everyone else.

Devedrus said...
I can honestly say I don't agree with your position. Many "different" people conform because they still wish to inhabit a social caste. This "Scene Kid" (I don't know what it is either) as you say is just that- since he fits into a category, he stays in that social caste. True individuality comes from shunning social castes alltogether, although sometimes you also can't look at how someone appears and assume they do it for the same reason as others, because clothes are a nescesity in our culture... (more »)

singergurl12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haha i love this! in a wierd way it compliments my peice "what about the weeds"- this is one of those things that everyone can see if they take the time to look, yet never say it out loud. well, its high time someone did. great work!

squidzinkpen said...
Again, I really just can't critique your work! I'm not sure if it's because it's short, or there really just isn't anything wrong with it! I don't know what a scene kid is though...I dunno if it was a typo or what, but whatever, doesn't stop the piece from being what it is!