High school exchange year | Teen Ink

High school exchange year

By Kristina Zimblyte BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Kristina Zimblyte BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Have you ever thought about the opportunity to have exchange year in another country? Or be an exchange student and go to different school? More than 40,000 young people have this opportunity every year. They have a chance to live in another country and see the world from a new perspective. What is high school exchange year? Why is it good for you? Rotary Youth Exchange, American Field Service (AFS) -- 2 are the most popular high school exchange programs, which are ready to make your dream true and real.

What is exchange year? It is the year, when students will spend a academic year living with host families and attending high school in a country other than your own. You will learn a new way of living, maybe even a new language, and a great deal about yourself. As you are learning, you will also be teaching the people you meet abut your country, your culture, and your ideas. It is an opportunity to know about different culture, people, and traditions. Also, its experiences are for the rest of your life. Besides, you will have a big adventure of a lifetime, and also it is a good way to become an adult.

Why do young people need to do this? Why is it good for teenagers? First, you will be by yourself in different country. It means that you will learn lots of thing about yourself. It is a real understanding for another country and its culture and society. It is possible that you’ll learn even a new language, meet new people, and make true friends for the rest of your life. You will learn new ways to communicate, and of course you immerse yourself in a different culture.

Rotary Youth Exchange and AFS are the most popular exchange programs in our days. You can find these programs in almost every country. They are responsible, safe, and a really good program for teenagers. Rotary Youth Exchange and AFS are different programs but they have one thing in common– they help students to make their dreams come true.

Rotary Youth Exchange is a part of Rotary International. Rotary International is the world's first service club organization, with more than 1.2 million members in 33,000 clubs worldwide. Rotary club members are volunteers who work locally, regionally, and internationally to combat hunger, improve health and sanitation, provide education and job training and promote peace. On of their project is Rotary Youth Exchange. One of this program special thing, that exchange students will live in a few different families. It is a good way, because students have an opportunity to live in different families, and the opportunity to see a country from different eyes. Students would live in Rotarians families. They have to be 15-19 years old. They also will attend local high school. Rotary Youth exchange gives an opportunity for exchange students to be an ambassador of your country. Every month they have meetings with other exchange students in the same country.

American Field Service, known as AFS, is a international voluntary organization, that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more and peaceful world. AFS offers these exchanges in more than 50 countries across the globe. The school program is for academic year, AFS students live with a one host family and attend a local secondary school as full-time students.

All exchange students who were in another country said that it was the best experiences that they’ve ever had. They all said that this year helped them to know new things about themselves, to become international and be more understanding about other countries. “ The thing you will learn during your exchange can never be thought to you in classroom setting. Being an exchange student It’s about understanding. Knowledge may be power, but understanding leads to change …just keep an open mind and an open heart, and the rest will come naturally.” – said an exchange student from USA who went to Thailand.

So, I just told you about exchange year, the most popular programs and why it is good for teenagers. I think we have to be thankful for these programs, because they give for students an opportunity to know about another countries, their culture, and to have the best experiences in your life. “ One large backpack full of memories and experiences that I don’t think I would have achieved anywhere else” – maybe is it true?

I'm exchange student from Lithuania

onedirectionlover GOLD, Hampton, Virginia, Virginia
I would love to have an exchange student from Sweden, and/or be an American exchange student to Sweden! Love the article.

MetallixRose said...
My family is hosting a French student this July. Nacel Open Door Program is also good to use. It is not as well known but they have provided excellent service.

Maike SILVER said...
Maike SILVER, Ft Collins, Colorado
Great article! I looked into both Rotary YE and AFS, and in the end went with Rotary. I'm going to Thailand next year with them, and I can't wait. :)

on May. 9 2010 at 10:39 am
LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

A great reminder that exchange programs can be fun and fascinating.