The Rat Race | Teen Ink

The Rat Race

By leenxx3 SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey
leenxx3 SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey

it oft falls out, To have what we would have, we speak not what we mean: I something do excuse the thing I hate, for his advantage that I dearly love.

I can sense their eyes tear me apart; personal wrecking balls. Every move I make is surveyed as if being judged in a competition. But I'm not here to win; no. I never signed up for this one. I was caught like a fish one a line, and tossed into this whirlwind. I can hear them pick out every detail of every move I make. And for some reason, I care their opinion. They are top; they control the chain. They control the tribe I will eat with tomorrow; the things even I will say out loud. Nothing will go unnoticed with their vulture eyes. I have considered this path, and here it is; my make it or break it deal. I inhaled and began. This time though, I didn't follow the rules. I didn't converse about how I desperately need to be the color of an oompa- loompa, or whimper that my mane wasn't straight enough. I had an opinion, and only the top could hold that. With fear of losing power on their minds, I sensed them put me down; shun me, disown me, abandon me. And I was happy to be out of the rat race. 

I like to think all girls feel this way one time or another. I know I do.