The feeling i love | Teen Ink

The feeling i love

By flanagc BRONZE, Culver, Indiana
flanagc BRONZE, Culver, Indiana

I’m sprinting back and forth and diving onto sleeping bags “YOUR OUT!”
Shouts my brother John as we are in my basement playing a made up game; this was called running bases. My “Home” is not a house, Culver, or a place where I feel I can go whenever I want, my Home is the competitive environment which I remember most vividly from my childhood. Growing up with five older sibling’s attention wasn’t the easiest thing to receive, and failure was normal for the youngest child. Due to my brothers and sister’s successes I felt inferior. This feeling was discouraging and proceeded bad habits which made me feel as though the lowest position on the totem pole in my clan.
I came to Culver just to carry on the family tradition, hoping to leave after a year. Not excepting to find Culver the place where I belong. I started off freshman year as a little seedling hoping to be watered and cared for from the Culver code of conduct and receiving the sunshine from the other girls. Over the course of four years, I have grown tall with a strong stem and bloomed into a great leader. I now strive to pollinate the non-leaders and the underclassman in my dorm by setting a good example. The feeling of being looked up to by other girls is empowering and feeds my appetite for success.
This success made me want to willingly help more girls out at Culver."What is this?" Shuang G. (senior at Culver) asked me as she held up a simple mixing bowl. Slightly chuckling I explained to her that it was simply a bowl. "Bohh-llll?" she murmured. "Do you use these to wash clothes and face too?". At first I was a bit confused. Then after a brief explanation, she informed me that at home, in China, they use bowls to soak their face cloths, and clothes. Everyone looks at home in a different aspect but my home isn’t a tangible thing, it’s a feeling that can change throughout life.