Taking on the Future | Teen Ink

Taking on the Future

March 13, 2010
By chelsj BRONZE, Freeland, Pennsylvania
chelsj BRONZE, Freeland, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Everyone's a hero if you catch us at the right time -- Paul Penkala <3


Not an easy decision, not by anyone’s standards. This could be the one that would break her already fragile heart to pieces. Her room had been her comfort zone for the last week. The ipod remote permanently attached to her hand as Young Money, All Time Low, and ever-faithful Jack Johnson came blaring through the speakers. She absent-mindedly flipped through these but they were just background noise compared to the thoughts running through her head.

She had a decision to make, to give up on everything she had wanted for the last three years of high school. For so long it kept pulling her back and back but now her mind was telling her to let go and move on. The voices of her friends ran out loud and clear in the head, “You don’t deserve that, don’t let him treat you this way.” It was hard to accept the truth when her heart had made a straight and well worn path to him. It was turn back but maybe when you grow up you realize what you want is not always what you need. And with that thought she raised herself from her bed and left to do what she had to do, for herself, and for her future.

Sure, tears were shed and words were harsh but when it was all said and done, she knew she had made the right choice. She walked out with her head high and her heart a little bit lighter. And you know what? Life goes on. She’ll take life one day at a time and wait for the next surprise around the road. Good or bad she will make it through.