Teacher vs. Educator | Teen Ink

Teacher vs. Educator

March 11, 2010
By Anonymous

Receiving my second semester schedule junior year, Miss Bower appeared as my Advanced Algebra teacher. I was nervous. I had no idea who she was, but had never heard a bad thing about her. I was hoping it would go better than first semester math and I would be able to understand what was going on. But I figured it would just be the same as always: another boring semester of math class.
Giving up lunch, before and after school hours, breaks…you name it, she was there helping me. Nobody has ever been as committed to helping her students as Miss Bower.
She kept it interesting. I actually learned something and enjoyed it. Being able to learn math with the clickers on the Smart Board actually got my attention and kept me interested. It was something new.
Ninth hour everyday, I couldn’t wait to get to math. It sounds weird, but she was open and didn’t judge. She motivated me to learn to my full potential. Math has never been my thing, but that semester it was. My grade at the end of the semester reflected how my ability came out in her class. I came out with a 97%.
She’s not only a teacher, but she’s someone students can connect with. She’s someone students can talk to and have things in common with. As a runner, like myself, we have things to talk about and share conversations with. We would talk about how painfully awful our long runs went or plans for prom, she was like a friend rather than just a teacher.
Miss Bower isn’t like the others. She does it her own way. Math wasn’t from the same old textbook. She taught in a way high school students could relate to and understand. She’s fun. She’s honest. She’s the best teacher I’ve ever had.