Reflections This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I stand in a hallway, watching students roll by. I see girls who laugh because they know no one has ever seen them cry.

I see girls who bury their eyes in books because they don’t want to face a world where there is no Prince Charming.

I see girls who wave pom-poms because they like the feeling of being the best.

I see girls who dance in their bedrooms like a swan princess, but act as clumsy as they can so no one will look at them twice.

And then I see a girl over by the trophies. She is smiling, but only because she knows she doesn’t look like any of those girls. She looks like she doesn’t have to hide, she doesn’t have to pretend. She does whatever she wants.

But she has a secret in her eyes. And I see what she does hide. She hides her life, because every time she looks back, all she finds is disappointment.

Then I see one last thing: That girl is my reflection. So I turn away, because I realize I am like those other girls. I have a secret. I live a lie. The lovely facade I wear every day is just that.

So I walk down the hall, passing cheerleaders, bookworms, Goths - an array of worlds that somehow match. Because all the faces I see have the exact same smile as me.

SexyCobraKiller said...
Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:33 am:
I am sorry. Anyway, it's alright. It's cool how you let the reader know that everyone experiences such "facades" in their life. Everyone kind of represents something that is not really them. The intro is chill, because it seems distinct from normality. 

ChelseaB said...
Love this.  It's perfect, even if you don't think you are.  Most people can relate, whether or not they realize or admit it.  It's beautiful, thank you for posting it. <3

Posiedensheartbreak said...
May 28, 2011 at 9:20 pm:
This article is absoultly flawless. In some way or another i think everyone can relate to it and the hook you used to reel people in was brillant.

OriginalCarbonation said...

After looking at this again just a quick note on word choice.

I think the most dramatic is the first line - roll gives a different sensation than seems appropriate - although I know what you were going for.

Also, the line about cheer-leaders seems a little ambiguous as far as what exactly their facade is, or what they are hiding.

One last comment is that the third and fourth paragraphs about you, seems to contrast. First you say you have nothing to hide, then that you do... (more »)

MoriahR. said...
This was really beautiful! Thank you for writing it!

OriginalCarbonation said...
Wow. Beautiful. That brought tears to my eyes, truly. Thank you

KillerButterfly said...
So so true. I'm glad someone finally pointed this out

SillySarah said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 11:31 pm:
I love this. . . It is so true.

Macx14 said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 6:17 am:
Other people who's personalities may be more pronounced than you like Goths, cheerleaders, and things like that are just different sides of you. That's the thing abut going to school and seeing so many different people. Because of the ways you can relate and understand each of them differently. Great job!

Heathurrlovesyouu said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm:
I agree with this article very very much. Wonderful.

notebookgirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 10:00 am:
it's really sad how originality is concidered so wrong in this day and age

liv31590 said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 1:28 pm:
i totally agree,we all are fake, and hinding our flaws from the world around us.If we all(preps, goths, bookworms) broke through and showed our real selves the world i think would be a better place. good job i'm glad someone else has realized this too.

aly-mack10 replied...
Feb. 24, 2010 at 5:17 pm :
I totally agree with you. Everybody think they are better than other just because of how they look like and not because of how they really are in the inside.

CoachBill said...
Feb. 17, 2010 at 9:06 am:
There is much talk these days about education reform. Ideas generally focus on the competence of teachers or the contents of textbooks. It seems to me that the real problem is that we have created a culture of mediocrity where the goal is to blend into the gray morass of conformity rather than stand out and bathe in the light of excellence.

Pastinaface This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Really, really, good. And this really reflects me and how I feel about everyone around me. I feel like you took the words out of my mouth.