Cold Days

Snow days are known nationwide, but what are these cold days exactly? AHS in Hartland, WI, had two last year, according to Jill Storm, an AHS secretary. These days do not occur as often as snow days.
The requirements for canceling school on cold days vary state to state, but for Hartland the rules are simple.
Pete Nejedlo, associate principal at AHS, explains canceling school’s mainly about the bus companies, local schools, and weather conditions.
Weather wise, he says the temperature has to be ranging from -20 to -30 with the wind chill for school to be canceled.
“It’s really determined by busses and the grade school kids waiting for the busses that can’t stay in the cold for long,” says Nejedlo. “The big kids can handle it, but the little kids can’t and that’s a big factor in it.”
There are also the dangerous driving conditions of icy roads and cars being unable to start due to the cold. That’s where the busses also come into play. If the roads aren’t safe enough for the busses, schools will be cancelled.