Morning Mishap | Teen Ink

Morning Mishap

December 15, 2009
By akathleen332 BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
akathleen332 BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Wake up, you’re going to be late again,” my mom called from outside my room. She was probably rushing to get ready too.

“Okay,” I said sleepily.

“Finally,” she exaggerated.

“Wait what day is it?” I asked blanking out.

“Wednesday, wear your gym uniform,” she said.

“Okay, I’ll be ready in a second,” I called already half dressed. We ran around our tiny apartment careful not to get in each other’s way, and in about ten minutes we had already left and were in the cab on the way to my school.

We hopped out the cab and my mom handed me my bag, “have a great day,” she said.

“Thanks, you too,” I said back.

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” she laughed and began to walk to her job which was only a few blocks from my school.

As I stepped into my classroom my body went numb, everyone was wearing their regular uniforms. The girls had their dresses and I wore my ugly grey sweatpants and sweatshirt uniform.

“Oh no, kill me,” I thought miserably.

“What are you wearing,” I heard my best friend, Rosie, laugh from behind me as I obviously had failed at hiding or gaining the power of invisibility.

“My mom said it was Wednesday,” I whined.

“You guys were running late again? Geez you guys really need a better alarm clock and a calendar,” she laughed.

“It’s not funny,” I cried.

“It’s okay everyone makes mistakes just don’t make this a habit alright,” she said trying to cheer me up.

“Yeah,” I said quietly wanting to shrivel up to the size of a dust particle.

The teacher rushed in, “Come on everyone we have an assembly,” she called.

I froze mortified, assembly; the whole school would see how dumb I looked.

Rosie put her hand on my shoulder to calm me down, I looked at her and she smiled I nodded and we followed the teacher to the auditorium. I quickly jumped in my seat and immediately sunk as low as possible.

“Sit up, Alicia,” the teacher said.

I sat up, and looked at my other best friend Joshua who was sitting on my left. I didn’t want to look at Rosie because I heard her chuckling; Joshua was much kinder and wouldn’t laugh at my misery.

The assembly began I didn’t hear anything because all I could focus on was going home and complaining to my mother about how her mistake could have been the death of me. It was almost over when Rosie nudged me.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Student of the month,” she said. Automatically I knew why she was excited; he walked onto the stage his long dark hair flawless as usual. He was an older student. Rosie wanted to be student of the month every month just to be near him and I always chuckled when she didn’t make it.

My teacher went up on stage and began talking I mostly wasn’t paying attention because I was to busy listening to Rosie babble about how great the student president looked.

Suddenly through the speakers my name rang, “Congrats to Alicia for making student of the month, come up and get your certificate,” she said with a smile.

“This can’t be happening!” I cried completely miserable.

“Go,” Rosie and Joshua urged.

“B-B-But I can’t,” I cried more.

“You have to!” They said again.

I rose slowly and sure enough heard chuckling from students all over the auditorium; I walked up to the stage. Rosie and Joshua sat up in their seats flashing death stares at everyone; I’d have to thank them later. I got to the stage and slowly went up the stairs my body felt numb.

“Congrats,” The student president said as I received my certificate.

“Thanks,” I said in an almost whisper.

“Don’t be so embarrassed I did the same thing a few years ago,” he said as I turned to get off the stage.

I smiled and walked off and back to my seat.

“What’d he say,” Rosie practically screamed.

“He just said ‘congrats!” I replied with a smile.

“Yeah sure, steal my future boyfriend and I’ll hate you,” she whined.

“No thanks, you can have him,” I laughed.

“Wait till I tell mom about this,” I thought, already imagining what hell would arise when I got home.