You're The Best. | Teen Ink

You're The Best.

December 29, 2009
By Anonymous

The smell of dryer sheets wafts from a nearby room, as I sit next to you on a worn leather couch, that has definitely had it's share of couch potatoes. I can't help but wonder how I got here as I look to my left and see you, chuckling at an episode of Phineas and Ferb that reminds me why I love you. Your eyes wrinkle ever so slightly, while staying bright and alert, your eyelashes long enough to create wind gusts, your eyes blue enough to be frozen drops of dew, and your smile is radiant, young, and refreshing. Your curly hair has no form, other than one similar to a poodle in a tornado. But this is my favorite feature of all. I fear that no one can quite understand the humor of our bond. Perhaps fear isn't the right word. Maybe it's more along the lines of hope. Or pray. I just know that we have a different bond, and while others may think they've penetrated our web of confusing hilarity, they don't have the slightest clue. To be quite honest, I don't even know if I'm sure what we are laughing about makes sense, but this is why I love us.
You continue laughing, until you realize that I'm awkwardly staring at you, and you turn to look at me. We shared a glance that I cannot deny was awkward. But it was cute. I don't know how to describe it. I suppose the only awkwardness about it is the fact that we are not officially dating. But we might as well be. Everyone already assumes. You turn back to watch tv, and I turn back to gaze at you, then you turn to gaze at me, and I look away. This repeats a lot, it's happened before, and once again, I am wondering how on earth I managed to meet a guy like you. Then I am reminded.

It was June 21st. I had spent a lovely day at the coast with my family, celebrating the 24th birthday of my sister in law. There was a dance being held by my youth group at a church building in Newport, and I decided at the very last minute that I was going to attend, even though I felt like going home and spending an evening with the family and maybe sleeping and wallowing in self pity, as many teenagers do. See, I had a lot of unnecessary worries in my life, due to a friend (I will not disclose her name) who was making some very poor decisions. All I wanted to do was go home and be an emo. But still, I put on a fake smile and went to the dance.
I arrived early, and awkwardly sat in a chair for about a half an hour until people started trickling in. As more people came, I realized that none of my familiar friends were going to come, so I had to make some new ones. I started out in one group, realized that they were a bunch of drones (they refused to dance as soon as I would leave) and I skipped on over to the next group. I did this about 3 times, almost like a Goldilocks kind of scenario, when I came into a group of people that had 2 vaguely familiar faces in it, and 4 completely new ones. I decided to introduce myself. "HI! I'm Sofie!" I said enthusiastically as I shook every hand of every stranger. I went to shake your hand.. and I have to admit, I kind of judged you at first. You were kinda nerdy and awkward, and you didn't say much. You kept gazing over at my friend Teigen, and I was really confused about it. All I knew about you was that you liked her and she hated you. So I decided to break the awkward. I started to make jokes and tried to laugh a lot to make everyone comfortable. I think it freaked you out. You kept staring at me, then gazing at Teigen, staring at me, gazing at Teigen, rinse and repeat. You also attempted to make some really poorly constructed puns. So I made fun of you.. I regret it now. I also mocked your brother when he said he was buff.. because he's about half my size and twice my height and I could probably break him like an uncooked spaghetti noodle. I poked fun at basically everyone, though, so don't feel bad. We spent a long time standing outside laughing and talking, not dancing, and making jokes that only people with similar humor to yours and mine could understand. We laid on the sidewalk and stargazed, and I realized that I may have found new friends, and this made me happy. I don't know what it is about you and your family and friends, but they make me feel better about life.

If I had not gone to that dance and decided to not be a bum, I would never have the joy of you in my life, I never would have met my best friend, and I never would have come to appreciate having friends with a similar moral standard.
It is because of that night that I am who I am.
It is because of that night that I have found the best friends in the world.
That night was the beginning of the most happiness I have ever experienced. I have gained so many happy memories.
Once again, I am looking at you, smiling and laughing, sitting next to me, keeping me warm, and I am reminded of why I love you.
I love you because you hold true to who you are.
I love you because you smile.
I love you because when you listen carefully, we're breathing in sync.
I love you because you get a mischievous look in your eye when you're about to do something that shows me that you love me.
I love you because you're warm.
I love you because you accept me.
I love you because you love me.
I love you because you're you, and you're the best you there is.

The author's comments:
I just can't help but feel love.