Quiet and shy? It's just a disguise | Teen Ink

Quiet and shy? It's just a disguise

December 22, 2009
By jp257 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
jp257 SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
7 articles 1 photo 0 comments

It started with a temper tantrum in the middle of Target. On the floor. My mom walked away to the cashier. She couldn’t leave me on the floor screaming, (no matter how much she wanted to) so she picked me up and walked to the car. After leaving the Target parking lot I had the idea of taking my shoe off and throwing it at my mom. While she was driving. You may think to yourself, is that the same girl I see at school everyday?
Looking at me during class, the story may not match up with the description of who I appear to be. I’m not saying I still throw shoes at my mom, but I am not quiet in all settings. My friends blame my mood on caffeine, sugar, or energy drinks, but I say back “it’s just Jess.” It is who I am. I am the person who will do the craziest things. Two summers ago, friends and I were up on an island in the Upper Peninsula. We were walking along the beach. I look out onto Lake Superior with the massive waves coming in. I say, “I want to run in the water!” This doesn’t seem odd, except for it was 68 degrees out and the water had to be less than 60 degrees. My friends say “Jess, you would.” So what do I do? Of course I run in. With my jeans and sweatshirt on and all! I was left with sopping wet clothes, but an unforgettable experience.
I live by the saying “every moment you waste unhappy is a moment of happiness lost.” I have a positive mindset and I try not to get down easily. It’s not worth my time to be upset.
So I seem quiet and innocent, but outside of school I am a teen who enjoys life. Whether I’m playing tennis, playing piano or hanging out with friends I have fun. As my grandpa says…”Life’s short, make fun of it.” So that’s what I do. Why wouldn’t I?