Honorable Arlington | Teen Ink

Honorable Arlington

By Identity_Unknown BRONZE, Carrollton, Georgia
Identity_Unknown BRONZE, Carrollton, Georgia

Here are two:
1. "I write to understand as much as to be understood."
2. "There are victories of the soul and spirit. Sometimes, even if you lose, you win."

-These are both by Elie Wiesel

Cemeteries are mostly shrouded in misery and pain of ones lost. They are drowned in the perception of containing evil and mysteries, but it is not so with one particular cemetery called Arlington Cemetery. Arlington is, overall, a peaceful place that holds only the most worthy of people. This cemetery has been in Washington, D.C. for many years but it can still give an emotional experience for all who visit.

Still to this day I can feel the cool breeze in the wind brush against my body. My shoes lightly grazed the top of the pavement with each step I took as I gazed upon an unfamiliar scene with hills and roads as far as the eye could see. The hills rose above each other as lines of white grave markers stood side-by-side as well as behind. Each stone had names carved in them as well as officer rank and division. The white stones glistened in the sun as a crystal chandler lit up by light bulbs and showed signs of upkeep. In the middle of the grounds there were some trees casting a soothing shadow over the graves beneath them, protecting them from the harmful rays of the sun.

All around there were only sounds of the leaves moving from the earlier breeze and an occasional bird song. The grounds were in a hush that flowed through Arlington from the moment a person entered until he left. Sometimes gun shots could be heard signaling the ceremony of relinquishing another solider to the depths of the fragile earth. No voices were heard as I moved among the dead colored in medals of their achievements and sacrifices they gave to their country. Every once in a while, a cry of mourning could be heard from the newly departed family as others placed flowers lightly where their body laid and gazed at them with admiration.

Upon looking around the establishment, sights of visitors occasionally walking with sadness and affection shown in their eyes were found. Families dressed in clothing black as bomb smoke slowly glided across the green grass. Their faces were stained with newly formed tears, some even had a white cloth pushed against their noses or eyes. Heads were bowed down to the ground as if trying to only be interested in the grass while the faces of fellow soldiers were blank and expressionless but with eyes full of respect.

As the service commenced, soon the soldiers lifted long guns and placed the end of the gun against their shoulders. Their fingers lightly touched the trigger and they were given the order to fire. As they fired, each person jolted for each of the shots, the older woman began to cry forcefully as her body rocked back and forth. The shots finally ended and a soldier that had a nicely folded flag walked over to her and placed it into her arms. The occasion soon ended and people departed to their own direction never looking at the casket holding the fallen.

Another breeze shook the trees and I wrapped my arms around me letting warmth spread throughout my body. I gazed again upon the white stone graves and nearby pedestrians still in a hushed tone. Calm emotions spread throughout and a burden lifted from my shoulders. This, I knew, was peace. It was a feeling I wished to carry through life with me. I know that peace, in this place, is obtainable to all who wish to grasp it as they pass through the graceful and honorable grounds of Arlington.

I've actually been to Arlington Cemetery. It's a very peaceful place...