My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

November 25, 2009
By Jillian(: BRONZE, Redding, California
Jillian(: BRONZE, Redding, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

He’s really gone….The smile which used to brighten my day has faded. My love for him will never stop… Warm tears run down my cheeks as I think of that one horrible night. A once soft, warm, bright friend was now cold, dry, silent, solid, still…just lying there without color to him…just pale and gone…
One of the worst experiences in my life was when my dog, Chance, died. I got Chance when I was very little, and he was just a puppy. We got him at the Haven Humane Society. It never even felt like we had Chance for very long, but he was my best friend for sure. Chance had a very happy go lucky, exciting, yet mellow vibe to him. We went on walks regularly to a small part near my house. On December 19, 2008, at 10:30 p.m., he died. He had been fine all day and then came the night. My mom and dad were sleeping and I had been talking on the phone. Then my mom woke up and told me to get ready for bed. She walked into the kitchen and there he was lying on the kitchen floor. My mom just started crying, and I came out and realized what had happened. Chance was gone and there was nothing I could do.
He was cold, still motionless…and gone. All night I lay there next to my friend. I kept thinking that any moment he would just wake up and everything would go back to normal, the way things had always been. And still every time I breathe, I can feel the empty space which he filled. It felt like if someone were to punch me right in the face, it wouldn’t compare to the pain and anger I felt inside of me. Life was like walking around with a paper bag on my head and wondering why I couldn’t see, things just didn’t make sense…life didn’t make sense. The world was fuzzy, my mind was blank, yet filled with upsetting thoughts. Thinking about Chance makes me feel upset inside and I realize how short life is and how your true friends are there even when they’re gone and when you miss them, and nothing seems right, they aren’t far from your heart…
Your memory fading away…there in the spot you once lie, the sad sorrow deepens…like a cracked mirror the future is unclear just wish you were here to light my way……