My Friends and Me | Teen Ink

My Friends and Me

By iWRITEwithREDINK BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
iWRITEwithREDINK BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

" Treat your life like a bank account. You start with nothing. "

He said, “Where have you been?” “Don’t worry” I replied.
“Why won’t you pick up your phone?” she asked. “Don’t worry” I replied.
“Why don’t you want me to worry?” they both said …
I replied with, “I said don’t…worry.”
Shhh… Don’t ask, just listen.

I refuse to stick with just one group. I don’t stick; I carefully choose as I past through the crowd of many crews. I have a variety of friends who bring the best in many different areas of my personality. Some are fun, wild, loud, and sometimes crazy and some are serious, quiet, as well as calm. I’m still getting the hang of it. I choose not to stick to groups because I feel like it limits me from socializing with so many different personalities in order to develop a dynamic one myself. It is easier to understand how life works when you’re surrounded by individuals who may have gone through it all. You then become ears and learn from their experiences, pay close attention to their mistakes, watch their every move, aware of the people who surround you. It’s something I always keep in mind.

In the movie The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, the Pants represent the friendship amongst these four women. Although there were four different individuals, that one pair of pants fit them all and kept the bond between each of them that much stronger. In the movie I remember the character Carmen saying, “And as we spent those last few moments of summer, looking out at the blending of sea and sky, I realized it was a color I knew very well. The softly faded, essential blue of a well worn pair of pants. The pants had brought us together again. The rest is in our hands.” It defines my friendship with my close friends.
“How many more blocks do we have to walk?” she asked.
“EWW YO!” he yelled, “Is he really doing that?!”
I then replied to both of them with “Huh? Wait what? What are you…oh, oh my god. Yo… that is so nasty!”… It wasn’t anything we’d seen before.

Pamela, the girl who said “How many more blocks do we have to walk?” was the calm, quiet, serious one. She’s the girl making sure everyone watches out for themselves—the perfect sweetheart. The one who misses all the exciting unusual stuff, the stuff everyone talks about.

Then there’s Alex, the crazy loud one. The one who said “EWW YO!” and yelled, “Is he really doing that?!” I was surprised that he was so shocked. He has seen worse before, but this startled him. He’s that boy to run to if you want the stress to go away in a second. I still don’t know how he does it; he just brings out the fun side of you by drugging you up with his humor.
It was so unexpected… All we wanted was to go get some Chinese Food, then head home. But that’s not all that happened; we all witnessed a woman having sexual relations with some random guy who pulled over with his car on the corner of the street. It was a huge shock to all of us, forever being scarred. We walked back to the Colony Island Stillwell train station the same way we came, in a group.
It was rare that we went to hang-out all together. I really don’t do groups unless of course it’s a group of various friends. For I keep my number of friends precise. Everyone has that chance with me. I’m just a little picky who shouldn’t be. Just be open to the menu list of friends that are offered and don’t order the same thing over and over again. It gets boring…