Reaching 16 | Teen Ink

Reaching 16

By camrun BRONZE, Porter, Texas
camrun BRONZE, Porter, Texas

Turning 16 is a huge transition in everyone’s life. It’s the age that lets you know you are no longer a child. At the age of 16 you get your first taste of being an adult. Although you are not 18 yet you begin to feel the responsibility of growing up. It’s not always a great feeling either. Even though reaching this age comes with responsibility it also has its perks. One thing every 16 year old looks forward to is driving. As a child people dream of driving and finally when you reach your 16th birthday it becomes a reality. Getting your license though, comes with responsibility. I will never forget the day that I got my own license. Even to this day it was one of the best days of my life. Then of course another major thing that comes with turning 16 and getting your license is getting a car. Most teenagers receive their first car around the age of sixteen. The memory of my parents pulling into the driveway with my first truck is still fresh on my mind. It was a black dodge with black leather. It truly was everything I wanted and more. Seeing the chrome rims glistening in the sun and the black paint sparkling it looked like it just came off the showroom floor. It was a dream come true and you just don’t forget memories like that. With a car though comes the need for money to pay for gas, insurance and other expenses. So becoming employed haunts most teens. Now having a job is the true taste of growing up and becoming an adult. Having a job really does take its toll on people. Especially teenagers, due to the lack of time management skills having jobs and keeping up in school is a very difficult task. But most parents usually force the burden upon their young adults to teach them the responsibility they lack. Although they usually don’t last very long, you gain bunches of experience from your first job. I know I did. So it’s quite obvious turning sixteen is a huge stepping stone. The knowledge you gain for the experiences you have stay with you forever. Everyone at this age begins to realize growing up isn’t always exactly what they thought it would be. Even though reaching 16 may seem like the greatest thing ever just remember, it’s just one stop on the highway of life.