My Dad and Meth | Teen Ink

My Dad and Meth

October 1, 2009
By Anonymous

I want to tell you what meth has done to my relationship with my dad. Last November I was at my dad's house. We were there visiting for the first time in a long time. It had been forever since I had seen him. In his bedroom there were safes everywhere and pickel jars in the kitchen. I was suspicious about it but i didnt really think anything of it. I had no idea what meth was. There were three people there the whole time me and my brother were there. They all looked rough. I knew them pretty well. My brother and I were riding our mini chopper one day and I decided to go get some tools from my dads barn. I went in and there were buckets of stuff stacked up everywhere. There was a pickel jar with crystal looking stuff in it and a tube with shiny stuff on it. I didn't know what it was but I knew it was something to do with drugs. Two weeks later I was laying in my bed almost falling asleep when my cousin told me that my mom wanted me to come upstairs. She sounded disappoiinted so I thought I was in trouble or something. She asked me if I had seen any drugs at my dads house when I had gone for a visit. I told her no because I didn't want to get him in trouble. She told me that my dad had just gotten arrested for possesion and manufactoring meth. I could feel the tears building up. My mom told me because she didn't want me to hear about it from my friends at school the next day incase they watched it on the news. She said I could stay up late and watch the news that night. One of my friends was spending the night. When I went back downstairs and turned on the tv, they asked me what was wrong. Not a single word came out of my mouth. My mom told them what had happened and then the news came on. As I watched it I saw my dad's mugshot come on the screen and it tore me up inside. That night I did not get any sleep. I laid awake crying and thinking about what I had seen at his house. I looked up meth labs on the internet and found out that they can blow up. My dad could have been killed! Me and my little brother could have been killed! The next couple of weeks I was heartbroken. That was the only thing that was on my mind. My principal called me into his office. I guess my mom must have told him what happened. He knew I was upset and told me if i needed anything i could come to his office to talk or whatever. He gave me his cell phone number and asked me how I felt about what happened. I started to cry right there in his office. He told me to go get my books and he would call my mom or stepdad to come get me since I was upset. I missed a few days of school before I was able to pull myself back together. We wrote letters for a little while and then one week he got out on bail. I expected to hear from him but he didn't call or write. I found out he had moved in with his girl friend. I rode by his house a lot but he was never home. One day his girl friend texted me and said that he had been missing for a few days. The first thought that ran through my mind was that he must have been killed or soemthing in a drug deal. I later found out that he had been arrested again. I didn't take it nearly as bad this time. I don't know why. After about three or four months he finally wrote me a letter. He said he learned his lesson and didn't want me and my little brother to do the things he does.I don't know if he means it this time or not. I have his letter and a picture he drew for me in my wallet and I always have it with me. Last week we got a phone call from his mom and she said he got five years in prison for what he has done. I didn't cry, but that's what I think about often when I'm not playing football or hanging out with my friends. Drugs took my dad away. I can't imagine what my grandma and aunt felt when they found out. If he knew how I felt I think he might have thought twice. What he did does not only effect him. Family is more inportant than making a dollar. I hate drugs. See what they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The author's comments:
I hope people will stay away from drugs!