Change | Teen Ink

Change

September 29, 2009
By Masahiro Kitamura BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
Masahiro Kitamura BRONZE, Bangkok, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Change” took place within me in Thailand. As a senior of Redeemer International School Thailand, I am now independent and self-motivated person. Nobody thinks I was really quiet and dependent person, ever. But guess what, I was. I was a quiet, dependent, self-unmotivated person in Japan. Obviously, Thailand and RIST have changed me totally.

“Anybody knows the spelling of “international?” The English teacher questioned us politely in Japanese. “I know that, i-n-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l.” I answered in my mind. “Yes, I know it, Ms.” Somebody behind me raised his right hand promptly and answered, “i-n-t-e-r-n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l.” And he sat down boastfully. “All right, well done.” The teacher said joyously. I knew the answer but I did not want to raise my hand to answer it and to let other students think of me like sickening. That’s all reasons why I did not want to talk in front of classroom in Japan. I was not even interested in student council or other stuffs which force me to be at public. I hated it.

“Anybody know the definition of communism?” Mr. Bill Mayer asked to us. “Yes, communism is the political system that all businesses are dependent on government.” I answered right away. Not like what I was in Japan, I am now totally independent and self-motivated in the class.

Since I have been studying in RIST, I became much more independent and self-motivated person. It is because I joined student council. As a part of RIST student council in 2008, I tried to work on to develop leadership and it made me to be an independent. And I had to learn English aggressively, or I might not pass TOEFL. Therefore, RIST made me to be independent and self-motivated. This was my “change.”