The First Christmas | Teen Ink

The First Christmas

By greta-gundrum BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin
greta-gundrum BRONZE, Hartford, Wisconsin

I love my family and still do, but as I have grown things have changed. When I was younger I would be so excited for every family holiday I would count down the days until the next 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Somehow things got messed up and as each year passed there was more silence at the dinner table, small talk ran out faster, and laughter became more rare. No one seems to realize, or maybe everyone chooses to ignore it. Everyone grows up and drifts away eventually right?

I greeted my cousins, aunt, and uncle at my front door. It was the first Christmas without our grandma (GG we called her) as she had died two months prior. 

“Merry Christmas” and hugs were passed around as everyone made their way down stairs to the basement. I was prepared for the same thing I have gone through for the past few years. Football, food, and silence. The new somber event was GG’s passing.

This Christmas is most likely going to be the worst yet. I thought to myself. 

I went upstairs to use my bathroom and to take a deep breath. As I walked back down the stairs the conversation grew louder and I heard laughter. I was proven wrong. 

“Greta you’re up first,” My mom said. I got thrown a microphone and I was so confused but then realized there was karaoke on the tv. My mom handed my cousins Kenzie and Olivia microphones too. We began to sing.

The whole night we took turns singing everything from Toby Keith to Eminem. In between our performances we talked about life, memories, GG. 

My eyes popped open. I woke up.  I found myself on my basement couch, lights off, everyone gone. I didn't realize I had fallen asleep. I closed my eyes and smiled. I went back to sleep knowing that things were starting to change again, but this time for the better. Although my grandma wasn't here to see it, I know she is looking down proud that her kids and grandkids got their act together and became family again.

This is a personal experience from this past Christmas that changed the dynamic of my family.