'C' for 'Covid', 'C' for 'Combating' | Teen Ink

'C' for 'Covid', 'C' for 'Combating'

October 29, 2023
By ZeyiZhang GOLD, Shanghai, Other
ZeyiZhang GOLD, Shanghai, Other
12 articles 5 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Per aspera ad astra.


How can a small, student-run coffee bar lift the souls of as many as 100 people? I couldn’t be any more proud and grateful for the difference we’ve made in combating the mental health problem of our school community this year.

It all started with a nightmare I had at the beginning of the year. In the dream, I was chained to a wall, being deprived of energy and feeling as if half of my lung was filled with lead. But that’s still nothing compared with what happened next. I saw my grandma, one of my dearest love, lying on a bed in front of me. I tried to cry out her name, but none of my attempts was successful. I saw the beautiful old lady, like flowers, withering as the light in her eyes was fading. I could do nothing but have my tears flowing like a river. It wasn’t until the burst of sound from a clock woke me up that I found myself sweating and my tear made its surf on my cheek. The nightmare was a replay of my real experience of seeing my grandma being tortured by the bloody coronavirus, and I know it was, perhaps, one of ten million heartbreak stories that happened during the pandemic.

As depression and post-traumatic stress ran over the school community, I soon felt the responsibility to do something to elevate students' moods. Fortunately, I convinced a group of young doers to join his team. With their help, I established a coffee bar at school, based on which I intend to bring about some positive changes. From the first day of running, selling beverages that spread positive energy was never our priority. We also allocate the revenue to help students in need to connect to psychiatrists and therapists and burden the costs for them. Apart from that, we have a mailbox by the bar, where those who are too shy to speak out for help can leave an anonymous letter. These letters were picked up daily and were carefully considered and responded which usually involves 4 people’s teamwork of 2 hours.
In the beginning, it was difficult for us to deal with all the hard emotions from complainers. As we became stronger and more experienced, however, we began to invite those who suffered from the greatest pain to a range of activities. For example, during a meditation, we have 9 students sit on the soft grass, breathing the fresh summer air, getting away from the chaos, and recharging themselves under the moon. A musical therapist was even invited to heal the most wounded.


By the time this was written, there were over a hundred boys and girls having reported positively on the projects and events held by us. I couldn't believe how much goodwill can change the community.


The author's comments:

This is a personal story, I'm so grateful to share it to you guys.