My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By taylormanne06 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
taylormanne06 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name biblically means clothed with salvation. It means to tailor garments, to fix, to repair. To be craftful, to be analytical. This rarely describes the unanalytical, and unresourceful person that I am. My name does not identify me as who I am, or who I will be.  

My name was almost solely chosen because my parents believed that they could see it on a desk plate in 30 something years. Although my parents may believe this, I think that any name can be on a desk plate. To be on a desk plate is to be successful, and success is not taken from your name. Any name can be on a one, from the most common of names, to the rarest and most unique names. Your name does not define who you are, but rather gives you a starting point in life, it gives you a title to begin your life with.

Usually the first time that I meet someone, one of two things happens. Some of those people are those who feel the need to comment that I share a name with Taylor Swift. Every time this happens I thank them for being the first person to point that out, and that I had never realized that before. I don't understand why exactly people do this, maybe they get some gratification for knowing someone with the name Taylor that isn't Taylor Swift. I often look at them with the face of disgust that you see when you smell something rotting away. I am not musical, I am not a person to go up on the stage and enjoy the spotlight on me, similar to how my namesake would. 

Sometimes I also get called Tyler. This one surprises me more than being called Taylor Swift mainly because I don't see how I could be mistaken for a Tyler or Tracy. I've never quite understood how someone could mistake me for a Tyler, but I guess I could understand Tracy, even though I don't think that I look like a Tracy at all. The title I was given when I was born gets stripped further and further away from myself every time that my name is taken advantage of through calling me names that are not my own.

I do not love my name. I could have been named something else, maybe something that is not as unique as my own, such as Addie, or maybe Olivia. My name makes me stand out in the crowd, when maybe I would rather blend in. My name puts a spotlight on myself when in a dark room. I wish I had a different name, and that maybe that would make me a different type of person.  My name has no story, no meaning behind it. I wish I had a name that would mean something rather than just being a meaningless placeholder.