A Fluff Ball Full of Smiles | Teen Ink

A Fluff Ball Full of Smiles

October 3, 2022
By bmkopatich GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
bmkopatich GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s a sunny day in Waukesha, Wisconsin, as mom and I are driving to see Great Grandma in the nursing home with our big white dog in the back. We try to see grandma every weekend, knowing she is on her way out soon. She tells us how bored she is sitting there and how seeing Newman makes everyone on her floor’s day better including herself. 

 When we walk in, we have to check Newman in so the people know there's a dog in the building. As we enter the floor that grandma is on, faces light up immediately. 

“Look at how beautiful!” we hear from across the room. 

Before we can even make it to Grandma's room, the word spreads that there is a dog on the floor and everyone must see. 

As we pass others rooms, echos from inside are asking for us to come in so they can pet him. 

“Excuse me?” we hear.

“Can I see your dog?” They continue. 

Smiles as big as the sun approach faces as Newman trots in and out of the rooms allowing anyone and everyone to pet him. 

When we make it to Grandma's room, she is sound asleep. It’s almost as if Newman has been training for this experience for a while. He goes over to grandma who's sleeping in her chair and rests his head on her lap. Waiting for her to wake up, he waits patiently as she opens her eyes. 

“Oh, what a nice surprise!” She comes to life. 


The author's comments:

I am a Senior at Arrowhead High school.