Essay Contest: Don't Shop | Teen Ink

Essay Contest: Don't Shop

September 30, 2022
By Sierra2700 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Sierra2700 GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Walking into the animal welfare center, the familiar smell of dog hair and food cloud my nostrils. I see the volunteers walking several dogs, each one eager to say hello to each visitor coming through the doors. They remind me of my dog - kind, social, and loving to everybody. However, a dog is not why I’m here.

My family and I walk to the front desk and give our names for the appointment, and they lead us to a separate room. I see kittens and cats of all colors, sizes, and ages. 

I feel a pang of guilt for not being able to take every single one of them home with me.

The volunteer leads us to the kitten area.

And there I see her. 

She’s beautiful, with soft tiger stripes covering her coat and beautiful green eyes that stare at me through the metal gate separating us.

Immediately, I say to my mom, “I want to see her,” as I point to the cutest kitten still staring at me. 

The volunteer in charge of us tells me, “She can only go into a meeting room with her sister, because she’s a little shy.” She continues on to tell me she was rescued a few days ago on the side of a dirt road, and she just had surgery on her stomach.

I feel so much pain for the little ball of fur in front of me. 

I sit down on the bench, bouncing my leg with excitement.

The volunteer brings her in and sets her gently on the bench next to me.

She looks at me curiously, and starts exploring the new atmosphere around her.

I wait,

and wait,

and wait,

The moment she lays down on my lap, I knew I was taking her home with me.

As we end the process of adoption, the associate tells my family that we can name her whatever our hearts desire.

I name her Kenna. 

Adopt, don’t shop. Every animal deserves love and a home.


The author's comments:

This is for the Teens Making a Difference essay contest.