Top Thrill Dragster | Teen Ink

Top Thrill Dragster

By QuackDuck BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
QuackDuck BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I was younger I went to this big amusement park called Cedar Point in Ohio. I often went to Ohio to visit my family, but it was a rare occasion that we were actually going somewhere other than my Grandparents house. Driving there was long and boring; the typical trip to Ohio. Northern Ohio is like Northern Wisconsin in the way that it has a lot of agriculture and little to no buildings or cities the only thing that sets it apart is its lack of lakes and trees.  we arrived in Sandusky, the town just outside of Cedar point, there were plenty of buildings and civilization and even a lake. Cedar point is located on a man made Island on lake Eerie so you have to take this narrow road to the park. This road alone could be a ride at the park; how scary it was with the waves crashing on either side as you navigate your way to the park entrance. Nevertheless we arrived safely and unpacked our stuff in the hotel. After this we walked down to the park and decided which ride to ride first. We decided on Millennium Force which used to be the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the 2000’s. We walked to the ride. Thankfully there was little to no line so we got on right away. I sat next to my older cousin Evan who was excited to be there and more than anything happy to be out of the car. The ride was very smooth and flowy; it felt as if you were riding on a cloud. I’ve been on this ride many times before and it always lives up to the expectations I hold it to. After that ride we decided to go to the next ride which is named top thrill dragster. It is the world's second tallest and third fastest roller coaster. We stood in line for a fairly long time, watching the ride shoot off and spiral up then peak and spiral down. My nerves were building the whole time getting more and more scared the closer we got to the front of the line. Once we were finally at the front we got into the cart. The harness clicked into place firmly over my trembling shoulders and chest. Once everyone's harness was down and the coaster was ready the cart lurched forward into its launching position. At this point I wondered to myself, is this thing even safe… Too late for second guesses the operator started counting down; 3… 2… 1…And we were off. My head pressed against the foam headrest like a racecar driver going through a sharp turn as the ride accelerated rapidly. In the blink of an eye the whole car went vertical as we shot up into the air. I looked to the right and could see the green shine of lake Erie for a split second before the car peaked and turned towards the ground. As we plummeted back down I felt like my head was gonna be taken off by every beam we passed. And then it was all over. Just like that a whole trip of anticipation and nervousness gone in a 30 second ride. I looked to my left where Evan was sitting still holding on to the handles and we both laughed. At that moment I knew we were both thinking the same thing, Let’s do this again.