Dr. King’s “A King” | Teen Ink

Dr. King’s “A King”

April 15, 2022
By ATKing25 BRONZE, Monkton, Maryland
ATKing25 BRONZE, Monkton, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

"On the twenty second of February, in the jungle at School, In the heart of the library, in the cool of a pool, He was splashing… enjoying the jungle’s great joys When “Aryan” the King heard a small noise. So “A King” stopped splashing. He looked toward the sound. “That’s funny,” thought “A King”. “There’s no one around." Whatever the sound was, it wasn't a bother. For A King is a man just like his father. A King is a man of great pride. He does things with effort and even great stride. He works and works and works and works. To try and improve the life of even one clerk. In his great journeys and even great trips. To help out others even on a total eclipse. As I drove back from squash after taking a big win. I pondered and pondered “should I eat in”? After deciding against my previous thought. I wondered and wondered, to achieve what I sought. The sought after nourishment that could fill my whole pot. That is exactly what I had got” It wasn’t for me, but for my brother and sister. I only hoped that it wasn’t so arduous, laborious, or even so “sinister”. But to my dismay it was exactly that. What I had not wished for I had to enact. I had to drive and drive to pick up the food. But still there was this thought that was not too good. Had I forgotten something, something I should not have forgot. As I walked into Cava ready to order. The order I had never seen before .. It sure was a lot. A lot of ingredients that got stranger and stranger. I sure was worried I hoped not to waver. A King will forget some of his report, but all he needs is a little support. Support from his people or even one man. To strengthen and support his large thought out plan. I had almost finished this arduous deed, but maybe I was missing something that all people need? As I got closer to the register I had just one query. To my dismay the response was weary. I had forgotten something, something that all people need. Sadly that thing wasn’t a Thneed, but something to aid me to pay for my meal. In the end I had to repeal. A King may forget a thing here and there, but he mustn’t forget to give great care. But nowadays this isn’t the case. I thought we worked for not just one race. A King is supposed to not tell one lie. He should look over his people with an impartial eye. The sorrys and anguish that came out my mouth. OH how this night has gone south. I ducked down my head and went on my way. Maybe I’ll remember my money another day. But then there it was a beacon of light. Maybe my food was really in sight. The lady at the cash register had given something to dwell on. “Why don’t you use this here coupon?”  The coupon was swiped and the food was achieved, but there was still something that had not been received. My brother's food was still on the table. Probably because there was no label. The lady looked at me with both her eyes, but I would not tell a single lie. We should all work together for one single goal. We work as a unit or even a whole. The human race should work united. To make the future super delighted. Delighted we will be with all this progression. All we need is less aggression. As he ponders and ponders what to do. To try and create this world anew. Hopefully A King will help foster something all people need. Hopefully that thing will be a Thneed. As we hope his intention will be wholesome and pure. In this utopia not to obscure. To have just one query. “I HOPE FOR THIS WORLD TO NOT BE SO DREARY.” The race, the religions and even intent. "I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. A King is faithful, one hundred percent!"


The author's comments:

The overall piece takes influence from Dr. Seuss and at the beginning and the end there are lines taken almost directly from Horton hears a Who and The Lorax. With a few uses of the word thneed sprinkled through out which is also from The Lorax.