Trucking | Teen Ink

Trucking

February 24, 2022
By TomOtte13 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
TomOtte13 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My personal connection to trucking is through my dad. When I was younger I really loved trucking. I thought my dad had the coolest job ever. I remember riding along a couple of years ago when we went to Thermopolis wy Wyoming it was super cool we went over the mountains it took three hours total to get into Thermopolis the mountains were gorgeous, there was snow everywhere on them, and when we got down to the other side there was no snow. In fact, the next day was t-shirt weather this was my favorite trip with my dad. I thought trucking was awesome. I loved it and I still do. I hope to be able to do it someday and have my own company.  That's why I wanna have my own trucking company. I just think it's a good fit for me cause I enjoy it and there is a lot of money in it too and I'm happy when I go trucking. I like trucking and seeing all the different livestock and new places too. The most memorable times are going out west to Montana, Wyoming, and western Dakotas.


I enjoy trucking the most when I go to a sale barn. Cause you never know what the cows are going to look like. If they're going to be big or small or even both. I think it's awesome walking around the sale barn. Because a lot of them are so old and it's just cool to see them still standing to this day. Some are probably 100 years old and still have cows in them. I enjoy the semis a lot but there is a certain one I like. One of them is a peterbilt 379. I personally think this is the best and coolest truck, especially with certain accessories for it. It's also really cool when I see a truck that has the same paint job as the trailer and it just really looks nice.  These are just some of the reasons I like trucking is mainly because of the trucks in general just cause of the looks and I get to wake up to different views in the morning and you never know where you're going.

I have really considered having my own trucking company. The question I keep asking myself is how am I going to afford a 50,000 to 60,000 dollar truck. Or should I take the risk of buying a 20,000 dollar truck that might have some engine trouble? This is just a question I ask myself every day. But I believe in myself  I can pay off the loan and buy more trucks or maybe I will buy trailers and hire drivers to pull the trailers so I wouldn't really care as long as I can make money. I would like to have workers. I want people to take care of my things, like if I got semis and trailers I would want them to wash the semi and trailer and if they break something too tell me so we fix it early on so later it doesn't become a problem. Instead of not caring and breaking something and not saying anything or just in general not taking care of my stuff. There is one truck in particular I really wanna get back and it's my dad's truck.

Once I get my dad's truck I wanna redo it to make it nice and give it a paint job and get many more accessories for it too. I would like to get a Wilson cow trailer and paint it the same color as the semi to match and then I would drive that truck and it would be my work truck and my show truck. One thing in particular I would really like to do is stretch it to make it longer I would like for it to have a 290 inch or 300-inch wheelbase which all it does is make it longer so you first have to cut the frame and when you're done with that put more on the frame and when you're done you paint it. These are all reasons why I wanna have my own trucking and livestock hauling business.


All of these are some reasons I wanna drive a truck and have my own business. And I think I could be pretty successful with my trucking company  (business). I hope to have kids that will drive trucks for me so I can pass the company on to them someday and hopefully keep the tradition alive so they can pass it onto their children. Trucking isn't all about experience and what happens it's also about family. That's why I wanna drive a truck.