Obesity season. It’s global and deadly. | Teen Ink

Obesity season. It’s global and deadly.

By matt8152 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
matt8152 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

Your family is celebrating you graduating, they brought a huge pack of hamburger meat, chicken, steak, and other huge amounts of food. Obesity is coming. It is cheap, affordable, and efficient. 
It’s also deadly. In a recent study from the National Institution of Health, obesity contributes to an increased chance of death from symptoms like hypertension, stroke, and  heart disease.  The number of people that eat more calories than they burn has increased a ton.

Yet people can’t stop themselves. Food is irresistible. They don’t realize the problem until it’s too late. This is the same as a person who gambles, they have an addiction, and they don’t realize they lost all their money. The food industry is trying a bunch of different things just to add as many calories as they can to the food.

Up until the last decades of the 19 century, countries were still struggling with poverty, and malnutrition. When the start of the 20th century came, the food industry started to add sugar, and fat to the diet. They added sugar of fat to the food so people would last longer before dying.  Then the Food and agriculture organization increased the availability of cheap calorie foods. 

Today obese people are everywhere. 71.6% of the worlds adults aged 20, and over are obese, but most of the data is from the US. There is even a restaurant called Heart Attack Grill which has a ton of foods that can make anyone obese. They serve 10,000 calorie burgers, fires covered completely in lard, and almost anything that is so much higher than the daily amount of calories which is 3,500. This restaurant could be contributing a ton to the percentage of obese people. Also, restaurants like Mcdonalds, and other fatty restaurants are also contributing to the percentage of obest people.

People are so distracted that we don’t even realise how many calories we eat.