First Day Mishap | Teen Ink

First Day Mishap

September 16, 2019
By Anonymous

You know most students have a general “rule set” on school, like the in’s and out’s on how to survive school. I’m pretty sure the number one rule is to not wake up late on the first day, especially if you’re parents aren’t the type to let that stuff fly. It just so happens I broke that rule faster than a kid breaks a window, and I knew I wasn’t going to have a nice talk with my parents. 
 
This whole situation happened around four weeks ago, the Sunday before school.  I had some trouble falling asleep due to my mind being a highway of thoughts at that point, thoughts of how everything could go wrong or how I messed up on something. Although I did sweep all those thoughts under the rug in hopes that I would sleep, that wasn’t the case at all. I still couldn’t sleep; it was if the file about sleep was missing from the filing cabinet called my head. Though I was still determined to sleep by trying many ways, ranging from counting sheep to listening to music. I still haven’t grasped the idea of sleep, I looked at my clock and was appalled that it went from 10pm to 2am in an instant. Desperate to not even miss school, I had the masterful plan of pulling an all-nighter. My sleep-deprived, “genius” brain thought nothing could go wrong. Even now I look back at that version of me and shake my head in disappointment, knowing I was so wrong. Then there I went, pulling off my masterful plan without any hitches at all.  
 
Everything was quiet, and something bright flashed at my closed eyes. When I opened my eyes and the morning light flooded my room, I thought to myself, “Okay...it’s too bright for 6am...” That’s when I rushed to check my phone, my head just got the situation instantly and I felt every single second of that feeling. The time was at 8:55am, everyone was already heading towards their first period. Where was I? Glued down on my bed, the panic reaching a boiling point. I rushed to get any clothes on, not even caring if it looked good together. After getting my clothes on, I realized the more fearful part of this morning and it was the fact I’d have to call my mother. I reached for my phone, slightly terrified to even call my mother, though I had it in my hands before I could hesitate. Knowing that it’d be worse for me if I didn’t call her, I dialed her number. At that point, tears started to fill my eyes as I heard the dial tone ring. My mom’s voice soon piped in, “Are you at school already?” With a shaken voice, I blurted out, “Ma...I woke up late...” A few seconds of silence passed, but to be honest it felt like a few minutes passed. That silence was quickly broken with my mom’s angry voice blasting through the phone, “What?!” Then the passing conversation was me explaining my situation as my mom grew madder at me with each word I said. The conversation ended with my aunt driving me to school as well as a nice chat after school too.  
 
With that mishap out of the way, the day continued normally until I reached home. The result for my mishap, was my tech getting taken at 9pm. Being honest, even if I think the punishment is a tad unfair, it is something that would teach me to not do such a thing. I just need to take responsibility for my mistakes. 


The author's comments:

I felt like a disapointment after this happened.