Surprise... | Teen Ink

Surprise...

By enjoy SILVER, Tirana, Other
enjoy SILVER, Tirana, Other

I thought that my 14th birthday would be like any other birthday, a bunch of friends and family blowing the cake and stuff like that, but I was mistaken so at first, everything was normal: me, my mom and some of my friends just planning the arrangements of the party. We were making a list of the people that were going to come and we set up a date and a place (apparently my 14th  birthday was a school night and we couldn't stay that long :( ). I really was excited about everything and I was even counting the days until my birthday.

Finally, the day that I was so eagerly waiting for, is here. I was looking forward to go to school and meet my friends and tell them all about the arrangements, the party and everything, but I sensed something strange happening. No one remembered that it was my birthday, not even my best friends that were there with me planing it. Every single one of them would talk like in some kind of codes, that I didn't understand, and they would not include me in their conversations. Peeking and trying to understand something from what I heard from their conversations; I found out that they were going out, without me. As the day went by a lot of people from other classes and even a few teachers, came and wished me happy birthday, and in a bizarre and kind of gloomy way I would smile, and a "thank you " would follow after. The classes were so boring, the minutes were passing slower and even a few times I would space out and lose myself in an endless world of thoughts.

After eight tedious and miserable hours of school I got home and found my cousin waiting for me there to wish me happy birthday. I thanked her but I couldn't even force a smile because my mind was stuck at what happened at school. She sensed that something was wrong and asked me about it. I started explaining every single detail of the day, and saying everything out loud I couldn’t hold it anymore in I screamed:

"HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO ME!? Even on my birthday, " I said.

"Maybe they haven't done it intentionally or maybe they will remember and write you. You can even talk to them tomorrow and tell them how you feel. They're your friends after all," she said calmly

I was still upset but, I let it pass, (I mean) what else could I do. Oh, by the way, another reason for my cousin to be there was because she was going to take me to my piano lesson, which I specifically told my mom that I didn't want to go that day... Seriously, this day couldn't get any worse.

There we were, leaving my house desperately to go to that undesirable piano session, and on our way there, we had to stop at a restaurant for something important. We had to get something for my dad but the problem was that we were already late for my session. Apparently I was wrong, this day could get worse, and it just did.As soon as we arrived at the restaurant, I tried to buy some time and ran upstairs as fast as I could to get that 'important' thing. Everything about that place was strange and kind of scary too. The lights were turned off and nobody was around. As I walked in, suddenly the light turned on right away and a lot of people at the same time start screaming joyfully "SURPRISE". I was terrified, I couldn't recognize their faces and everything was blurry. After a few seconds when everything was starting to get clearer, I couldn't believe my eyes, all of my friends were there. I just froze there, breathless, in the middle of the room, and started crying. They all ran towards me and hugged me, and in the same time they start crying too. It seems that they were planning my surprise in school and that's why they were whispering and acting suspicious all day long, and of course my cousin and my mom were in it too. Eni knew all about it and was standing there in the middle of the room saying:

"GOTCHA".

We danced, laughed, took photos, sang, and of course the most important of them all, we ate. The weird thing is that I can remember every part of that day as if it happened yesterday but I still can't properly describe the feelings that overwhelmed me in that moment. All I know is that I would call that one of the best birthdays ever that I won’t forget.