This is America | Teen Ink

This is America

By TheGoodandTheBad GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
TheGoodandTheBad GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. America gives citizens the choice of what they want to do with their life. Liberty is being free from oppressive restrictions. The pursuit of happiness is having the ability to pursue your hopes and dreams.

This is America where I have the right to choose what I want to do with my life.

Culture, diversity, and melting pot. Culture is customs, traditions and values. Expressing these cultural values brings awareness. Diversity is understanding we are different. People express opinions, beliefs, and experiences. America is the melting pot, people from around the world coming to America expressing their cultural beliefs and religions while adding to the national diversity. America is a better place when people from different backgrounds come together.

This is America where I see people working together through freedom of speech to build a better future.

Bravery, honor, and sacrifice. Bravery is displaying courage to protect Americans’ rights at home and far. Honor is respecting and recognizing our veterans. Sacrifice is soldiers who dedicated their time and lives to help keep freedom for Americans.

This is America, where people honor those who served to protect our freedoms of religion, press, to assemble, and speech.

Friends, family, and community. Friends, family and community is where people unite. People look out for each other in best and worst moments of their lives. People assist in neighborhood watches, food pantries, help in natural disasters, and give at blood donations.

This is America where I see into the eyes of others who are selfless, working with each other, freely expressing themselves.

Voices, rallies, and protests. America gives citizens a voice through freedom of speech. Americans rigorously rally and protest as they voice their opinions against or for a cause, government or events throughout the world.

This is America where I hear proud patriots freely expressing their thoughts and ideas. America…a great country.