I Know | Teen Ink

I Know

By DionA BRONZE, Cupertino, California
DionA BRONZE, Cupertino, California

I am asleep, not just any sleep, deep sleep. I am calm. I am relaxed. I never felt better. I would never know it would all change so fast. I would never have thought. I would never imagine. I would never even have it cross my mind. I… would….never

I hear a noise. I am not sure what it is. I become more conscious. I think. I recognize. I realize. I know. I know what the sound is. I know who it's from. I am hearing my mother cry. I jump out of bed as fast as humanly possible. I run like no tomorrow to the living room. I know that the sound is coming from there. I hear my mother plead “Why.” I go to my mother and look in her hand. I know what it is. I know that it is her test results. I know she took that test. I know the results are bad. I run to my mother, it was like running in slow motion because it felt like I was so far from her, all I wanted to do was hug her. I finally reach her. I hug her. I don't let go. I cry. I and my brother are hugging our mother, crying. I am afraid. I am worried. I am uncertain. I am speechless. I ask the exact results. I know very little about this disease. I know that it is not cured and it is deadly. I know that my mother has cancer.

I never felt worse. I would never know it would all change so fast. I would never have thought. I would never imagine. I would never even have it cross my mind. I… would….never

This is a true story that has happened only 9 months ago. In this story, I tried to make a rhythm by starting every sentence with the same word. I have seen other authors do this and I wanted to practice it. Also, I tried to show emotion and describe an event.