drawing blanks | Teen Ink

drawing blanks

October 11, 2018
By Anonymous

As soon as I was introduced to books, I was immediately drawn to writing, a young me scribbling drawings on printer paper with my crayons to go with my short stories, which most of the time consisted of my dogs or adventures I would create in my head was an often occurrence, I suppose what led me to this interest is the immense books my family read to me before I could start to write stories of my own. I still own my journals my teacher in kindergarten would instruct to write, I vividly remember feeling ecstatic to write all about my weekend, family, and friends, and incorporating drawings right above what I wrote. This was one of my favorite school activities, I wanted to share everything I wrote with all my classmates. Having that excitement and drive to write down all my thoughts helped me express myself which benefitted me tremendously.  
As soon as I started to progress through school, my stories I would create quickly turned into structured writing, school no longer had the fun aspect of writing stories I created in my mind. Which led to my teachers teaching me about all the basics of writing essays- three paragraphs, how to form proper sentences, how to have a good hook at the beginning of my essay, the list goes on. Which immediately left a bad taste in my mouth when writing was mentioned. I could no longer draw drawings to go with my stories, or to even write stories at all. Expository was my nemesis. I absolutely hated persuading an imaginary person about my stance on problems that I didn’t fully understand. I felt restricted, which is not one of my favorite things to feel. This led me to hate all forms of writing and even reading, I didn’t see a point to it all. When I would walk through rows of books in my school library I would never go for the books elementary students would call chapter books, reading those would be like pulling teeth. Books with minimum words and maximum pictures were my cup of tea. It was a chore to read and write anything, never did I write another story unless I was forced. These feelings follow me to present day, if I have a writing assignment I ultimately will follow all the rules of writing, but my heart never reaches the paper.  
Recently I've taken my free time and spend it reading books that I’m truly interested in, no pictures involved. Books about space, and fictional stories about vampires, I started to admire writers and how they wrote with such feeling which manipulated my feelings as I read. My stubborn outlook on books started to change, writing in journals- a habit I picked back up from childhood, had also changed my outlook on writing, I realized writing all my thoughts down created hectic sentences, if sentences at all I find even myself confused on what my thoughts are. My teachers taught me how to have complete thoughts, helping others who read my writing fully understand the points I'm making, I'm now thankful for all they taught me. Day by day I become more appreciative to the art of writing, it's all around me, in the songs I listen to, the movies I watch, and the books I read.  
My dislike for writing essays, and my like to creative story telling books, drew me to movies. The way that everything the actors say is meticulously written in a script, and how the story lines are written catches my attention. Every movie I watch transforms me into the characters situations and into their feelings. I can only think that the writer and director of the movie has a talent to writing the story lines to cause me to have those feelings. Although persuasive essays, and poems aren't my thing I genuinely like to write story lines for movies and short stories that come to my mind.  
All this talking about my writing so called journey really has me thinking about why I turned it down as soon as structure was placed on it. I realize now that writing is in everything and I have to learn to live with it. Even if I'm not the best at the assignment given to me, I shouldn’t let it dread on my love for other kinds of writing. essays and any form of writing for a grade is a necessary evil that I must live with to accomplish my goals for my future. I plan on making the most of it and continue to work hard, and put all my effort into it.   


The author's comments:

My experience with writing