The Compromise | Teen Ink

The Compromise

By Dolli BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Dolli BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin

On a gloomy and dull Sunday, a grey sky and mist dropped onto the town. Isabelle, her two brothers, Zack and Josh, and Father drove through downtown Oconomowoc. They searched for a place to eat. The boys decided on Arby’s. That’s when Isabelle, cluelessly watched drops of water race down the side of her window, grasped.    

Five-year old Isabelle was more opinionated than her two older brothers combined, especially when hungry. Ms. Picky had to have it her way. Either her choice or she’d starve. She was definitely the dramatic type. Being the only girl and the youngest, she always had it her way. Her opinion of Arby’s wasn’t pleasant.

The thought of the wrongly colored roast beef layered onto soggy bread, doused in fake, vulgar cheese sauce made her stomach turn. Everything about the place was repugnant.  The logo and demeanor of this fast food place reminded her of horse meat. An awful thought to have when your favorite animal is a horse.

“No. I don’t want Arby’s.” Isabelle insisted while she obnoxiously cried.

Her father quickly compromised. “How about I take you to KFC first and you can bring your food into Arby’s?”

When she was given this option, she was sold. She knew what she craved. Creamy mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, covered with chicken, corn and shredded cheese. Five mouth watering ingredients, in just one dish. Fill it up with a drink and a cookie for only five dollars.