Auntie Kathy's Apple Bread | Teen Ink

Auntie Kathy's Apple Bread

By writerboy22 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
writerboy22 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Last summer in the third weekend of July, I traveled to Tennessee with my friends family playing baseball. After I got there I was playing in the outfield there was a pop up and I ran and dove for it catching it to save the game from extra innings.  However, as I hit the ground, I felt a painful crack in my knee. I tore my meniscus, which meant I would be out for the rest of the baseball season and start most of the wrestling season too.

The rest of the tournament I limped because it hurt so bad to put weight on it.

I called my mom saying I got hurt and I could barely walk and she said what happened and I told her and she was so sad she wasn’t there to comfort me. She was in Chicago with my younger brother for baseball. So she called me and the family I staying to make sure I was doing alright and she got an appointment with a knee doctor for the quickest available appointment they had for when I got back.

Right as I got home my mom and my auntie Kathy were in the kitchen making food and as soon as I walked in the door I smelled the apple bread and I got into the kitchen to eat it.

My mother said, “I knew you were having such a hard time so we decided to make you some of your favorite treat, apple bread right?”

I said, “YES, thank you so much for your thoughtful surprise.”

Ingredients

1.)⅓ cup light brown sugar (not packed)
2.)1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3.)⅔ cup white sugar
4.)½ cup salted butter, softened (or use unsalted and add ¼ tsp salt)
5.)2 eggs
6.)1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
7.)1½ cups all-purpose flour
8.)1¾ teaspoons baking powder
9.)½ cup milk
10.)1 apple, peeled and chopped (I used Granny Smith)
Directions
1.)Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2.)Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
3.)Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
4.)Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract and stir until incorporated.
5.)Combine flour and baking powder together in another bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture.
6.)Mix milk into batter until smooth.
7.)Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Next add half the apples and half the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat/push apple mixture into batter.
8.)Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
9.)Lightly pat/push apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon (I cleaned my hands and used my finger because it was easier).
10.)Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Mine took about 35.
A. (2017, September 27). Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread.