A Single Glance | Teen Ink

A Single Glance

By Shattered_solong BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Shattered_solong BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

"Beauty Begins The Moment You Decide To Be Yourself"
"Happiness Is Found When You Stop Comparing Yourself To Other People."

8th grade formal was one of the best memories of my life. Why? Because I met the love of my life at that dance. It was during the dance off. There was a huge circle. I was standing more toward opposite from the DJ, and he was standing cross from me near the DJ. I glanced in his direction and from that moment on I felt a strong connection. I turned to my friend and said “who is that?” She said that’s cole and I told her he was cute. I couldn’t keep my eyes away from him. She knew a friend who was friends with Cole. I wanted to talk to him so badly but I couldn’t do it alone. She told her friend and he went and told Cole that I thought he was cute and that he should come talk to me. I didn’t believe that someone that gorgeous would come talk to someone like me, but being the sweet guy he was he came over to talk to me.

I turned away to try to hide myself but he found me. He say hey and of course the first thing I say is “your hot!” I could not believe I said that. I thought he’d run away or something, but instead he said thanks! You look very beautiful in that dress.” I swear if I was white he’d be able to see how red my face got. We stood there for a little bit until he went to go back to dance. Before he left he said bye. As I was turning around to leave he asked if i’d give him a hug. Of course I wasn’t going to turn that down. We hugged and in that moment i felt safe and comfortable in his arms like I was always meant to be in them. We parted ways and I was left feeling flushed.

Toward the end of the dance I asked if he wanted to get a picture but one, the photo booth was already cleaned up, and two he said he had to round up his friend and get ready to go, but he said that we’d take a picture another time. Before he left I asked for another hug and he didn’t hesitate to hug me back. I didn’t want the night to end, but every great night comes to an end. When I went home I couldn’t stop thinking about him. I was so excited to tell my mom. I thought this feeling would eventually go away but it never did. Finally summer started, but I couldn’t wait to see him at school. We would be high schoolers.

School started and I had him in my french class. I never really talked to him much. We also had weight training together and then speech together as well. Things would of probably been fine if Jacob didn’t tell Cole that I hated him, I feel that there was a part of Cole that liked me too. We were both too shy to ever confront our feelings to each other. Still now being a senior I still have butterflies in my stomach everytime I see or talk to him. I know he will never see me the same way, but I hope that one day he will realize i’m the girl for him. I hope one day we will finally give it a go. One day I can call him mine and he can call me his. One day I will be in his arms again. That one day may be a while or may never happen, but I don’t know what the future holds. I do know that I will wait for as long as I am able. I will wait for him to come to me. Even if we never get together, I know there will always be apart of my heart that belongs to Cole.

All throughout high school I've only ever had a crush on one particualar guy. I just wish he knew that I'm in love with him.