Ball to the Face | Teen Ink

Ball to the Face

By Iz.Fish BRONZE, North Collins, New York
Iz.Fish BRONZE, North Collins, New York

The cool breeze went by and made me realize it’s really volleyball season. I walked into the gym and saw all my friends and ran up to them and hugged them. The newly waxed floor sparkled and said to me “It won’t be long till this floor gets dirty again honey”. Our coach, Miss Small, was truly happy to see all of us. I was in the 8th grade and only had one and a half years experience of volleyball. I played the setter position who doesn’t hit a volleyball at all. We did bonding warm ups to get us in the rhythm of practicing once again. I couldn’t wait for the season to start again and finally, it’s here. Volleyball is my main sport right now and I couldn’t be any more happier. We started peppering which is where you grab a partner and pass back and forth and keep a volley. Then after that we split up JV and Varsity. On the JV side we did the usual hitting warmup. The setter is the position where the passer passes the ball to the setter for the setter to set the ball to the hitter and the hitter spikes it over. I had a few good sets here and there and then Miss Small changed things up and had me hit right-side. The girl who started setting had never really set before and Miss Small just wanted to try her out. A right side hit is a backwards set. So the girl set outside balls, middle balls and then to right side balls. I hit one and it actually went over. The next ball was pushed too far outside the court and I went and hit the ball...right into the end pole, back to my face. “WHAM!”. I landed on the ground holding my face in my hands. It felt like someone just shot me in the face with a million nerf gun darts. The whole gym was spinning and next thing I hear is Miss Small laughing her butt off. I thought I was detrimentally hurt but it only hurt for a second.  Yeah, let’s just say that hurt for a while and everyone laughed at me for that whole day.. And the whole week in school. What a great way to start the school year and volleyball season. I never hit right-side again for that whole year.