Memories that will last for a lifetime | Teen Ink

Memories that will last for a lifetime

December 30, 2008
By claudiia, GOLD, Caguas, Other
claudiia, GOLD, Caguas, Other
16 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Today is the day, was my first thought when I woke up. Today is the day that I had been waiting for such a long time, and then a kind of melancholic feeling came to me. I had hoped this day would come faster, but now I realized this is it, I was graduating. It was farewell to most of my junior high school friends and I was going to high school to a new journey, unknown and different. I really didn’t have a clue of how things were going to be, this way it was more fun, more of a mystery better than knowing what was going to happen. So I dressed up, went to the school church auditorium, and between other things, finally graduated. We went to a hotel for the weekends were I went to junior prom. That day I glammed up and went downstairs, I cried because a friend’s mom had my same dress, and I walked down an isle with my dad. I danced like there was no tomorrow without knowing I was being criticized for bad dancing… and I protested like all of my friends about the music, and had the ‘worst time’, but hey, that was all part of it. After prom everyone was bummed it had been such a failure and we went down to the beach. I was in a bad mood, like always, but there, sitting in that beach chair with all of my friends with the wind in my hair, my makeup messed up, and my crocs on I realized something.

Even if I had spent the worst, or the best time; even if there had been drama between friends, boyfriends, and girlfriends; even if I was seeing some people for the last time this memories would be with me forever. I had to make the best of it because I would always remember this time. I had actually graduated, and I was never again going to speak with some people of my class, even if I regret to have danced at the prom now, even if I’m having a fight with some of them that back then had been my bffs. I just thought I would always remember this, and I still do remember it, every detail. I would always remember the crazy nights we spent at the hotel, the scary stories we told ourselves, the funny moments while watching the stars, my best friend sleeping in the hall, and her hot cousin, Watching the sunset and staying up to watch the breaking dawn,I would always remember these times. And I thought, that if I enjoyed it the most my memories would be better. If I lived it to the fullest I would have more to laugh about and more to cry about, I would remember what it felt like being me in that moment. I would remember how different my relationship with my friends was back then. I would remember every detail of my junior high graduation party. And forever I would remember how easy and how tough those times had been… what I did and did not know back then. What I wish I would have known! I wouldn’t feel lost when I thought about everything back then because in that moment I was having fun, in that moment at the shore of the beach I knew who I was, I knew what my life was about, and I wasn’t lost in the past, or thinking of the future, I was there.

Even if life has taught me to live it by the minute of everyday, I would always remember al that. And remembering it will always make me want to get in a time machine to experience it all over again.


The author's comments:
I'm this girl from Puerto Rico, whose dream is to be a writer, and meet J.K Rowling. I would like to dedicate this piece to all of my bestest friends and my not so close friends from Sacred Heart School's class of 2008. The school where I found myself, and where I have memories that will never be forgotten. To my friends, and to everyone, Thank you.