Injury | Teen Ink

Injury

By Mvanarkel BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Mvanarkel BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

One day, my brother Nick and I were playing a board game in my basement. Nick could be a very mean kid when someone angers him but overall he is nice. My mother was also in the basement too because she was studying for her test. My mom was a great person to be around, very nice and will discipline when needed to, like all moms. My brother was beating me in the board game and I started getting mad about it. I tried as hard as I can to come back and win, but I came up short and lost.

I started to shout things at him like you're cheating, but I don't think he did cheat but that's what all kids say when they lose a game like that. He said he didn't and we kept going back and forth about it. My mom was still studying and she had asked us to be quiet. We didn't listen and then she sent us upstairs. I went up the stairs and then Nick followed. She's always told me to holds our railing go up the stairs so we don't fall but that moment I didn't and I paid the consequences.

My brother tripped me when I was going up the stairs, paying me back for me accusing him of cheating. I fell jaw first going back down the stairs. My front teeth went through my bottom lip and there was a big hole in my lip. It was a very painful moment and there was a lot of blood. I was screaming and crying and my mom was trying to calm me down but I wouldn't. My mom wanted to take me to the hospital for stitches but my dad didn't want me to go.

I have no idea why he didn't want me to go but I didn't and I had that whole in my lip for weeks and weeks to come. My mom took me to the doctor and he prescribed me antibiotics to ease the pain. I had to blend my food and let me tell you how weird it was eating my blended food. I didn't like a second of doing that. I can't really explain it because it was so long ago but I remember it being really weird. I didn't really do anything for that period of time.

All I did was lay down and watch television and I didn't enjoy that because I was an active kid and wanted to run around with my friends. I was mad that I couldn't go play but I understood that I needed to let my lip recover. I have a scar on my bottom lip and it is noticeably big.

It happened to me when I was younger and I thought it was an interesting story to tell.