The First Time I Met My Step Brother | Teen Ink

The First Time I Met My Step Brother

November 1, 2016
By traetonhitsman BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
traetonhitsman BRONZE, Waterford, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The first time I met my brother was a very different experience for me. I feel like me and my new brother could be great step brothers because it doesn't matter if your blood, what makes a family is always being there for eachother. I wasn't ready to have a new brother at the time, but I realized that me and him had more in common then what we thought. The day I first met him was at night, and it was at a restaurant. My dad and my sister and I picked him up along with my soon to be step mom. The ride there was akward I have to admit, their was just nothing to talk about. But as soon as we got to the restaurant we were basically forced to talk because we had to wait for our food to come. He started the conversation by asking me if I liked video games. Of course I said yes, and we actually had many games we liked in common. Then I asked him if he liked sports and said he does but he's not very good at them. As awkward that this time was we all got through it. I learned that night that me and him are alike. We both didn't know what to talk about.


Days passed and we went to his house. He was still in school so I had to wait a while for him to get home. When he got home,his mom walked through and he followed behind her. I went up to him and said “what's up”. Seconds passed and he walked up to me and slapped me. I was in shock and thinking in my mind like what the frick. Then he started laughing and he just stared at me. His mom had a grin and told said “John”. Then with her stupid smirk on her face she looked at me and said sorry while laughing. I was so confused. He said he was trying to be funny and i said sarcastically “yeah it's hilarious”. I that moment i thought he was just really weird. later that night we had dinner and his mom said his birthday was coming up. I asked him how many friends are coming over and he said none. He said he was new to the school and I could just see the look on his face. And i new exactly how he felt. I was new to at least 3 schools so I understand his position. Although i thought my new step brother was annoying a little. I realized that we could be good step brothers because every brother gets annoyed with one another. having sympathy for him a couple of weeks later their was a school talent show. He wanted to be in it and play the guitar.To be honest he was pretty good. I new this was a great opportunity for him to make friends. When he was in the talent show he did make some friends. But i also noticed that girls were talking to him. He didn't get first place for the talent show,he got 6th place out of 18. But either way i was proud of him. He said the point was not just to make friends but to put him in a position to do something he had interest in. There are many things that i don't do because i think i'm not going to do good. A lot of things that i was trying to help him with is that i wasn't taking my own advice. I want just helping him,he was helping me.
 


The author's comments:

I wrote this because me and my step brother share a close relationship.