Autobiographical Speech | Teen Ink

Autobiographical Speech

By ladyknights24 GOLD, Brooklyn,NY, New York
ladyknights24 GOLD, Brooklyn,NY, New York

"Don't go looking for love, let love come find you"

This isn’t the easiest topic to write or talk about especially because we’re not all exactly comfortable talking to each other. At first, I was going to write about getting my High School acceptance letter since that’s why I’m here at Madison. But after giving it some thought, I realized that we all have very similar stories for that and I don’t want to put you all to sleep. So I’ve decided to tell you guys about a person who shaped who I am today.

This person was my best guy friend. We met in 7th grade through this girl in my class and we became friends when I found out who he liked. We used to pass notes in class and talk on Facebook a lot. I always felt safe being around him because we always had each other’s back and gave each other advice on what to do. I eventually had a crush on him. I kept it a secret though because we thought of each other as siblings and I got over him a few weeks later anyways. I always saw him as a role model because he encourages me in so many ways. An example would be how he got me to become this athletic girl; before I met him, I used to hate gym and I used to literally get myself away from the ball but he got me to change and now I love gym more than anything and I am always willing to try a new sport.

When 8th grade started, things completely changed. He had a girlfriend and apparently she got jealous every time she saw me with him because everyone including her thought I wanted to get with him. I honestly didn’t though; I just wanted to talk to my best friend. I personally didn’t like his girlfriend and I still don’t today. She was the reason he started to keep a distance from me. I just let him be because as long as he’s happy, I’m happy too. I missed him though; after all, he was the only person I trusted.

He didn’t talk to me until the end of the year when he found out I was going to do something stupid. He tried to talk me out of it but I was stubborn and he just let me live the experience. Everything went downhill when he found out I was going to do it again. We got into a fight huge enough that our whole class knew about it. It was both of our faults though. He started by saying “don’t talk to me if you’re going to do it again” and hen continuing by saying stuff about me is friends.

I confronted him about that through Facebook and I was on fire. The stuff he messaged me pushed me to my limits and I said some rude things to him. A few hours after that happened, I tried to apologize and he was mad because it turns out that he got his friend to talk to me and he read the conversation when it was over. We both agreed our friendship was over that night. He couldn’t believe I said what I said and I couldn’t believe he had to get his friend involved. 3-4 weeks later, I was the mature one and apologized. We agreed to be friends again but clearly, things just weren’t the same.

This is by far one of the hugest highlights of my life so far. I’ve learned 2 things from this person who used to be my friend. One, be careful with what you say. I actually thought he was one of those people who’d be in my life forever but turns out I’m wrong because we both said harsh things to another. Two, don’t make dumb choices. I was the one who wanted to do “something stupid”. Now I can see that it was a really dumb choice. Not only did I lose an amazing friend but I also lost respect for myself. In other words, I regret y actions and I’d take them back any day.