Please Come Back | Teen Ink

Please Come Back

September 29, 2011
By Trevorfletcher18 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Trevorfletcher18 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Trevor Fletcher







9-13-11







Please Come Back

The first time I lost someone close to me was May 1, 2009 and it was one of the worst times of my life. I walked in the door that afternoon to a house full of people crying. I walked up to my mom who was sitting at the table and I asked her why everyone was there and why everyone was crying. My mom simply replied "oh my God, he's gone." I asked her who "he" was and she said Grandpa Tucker. I froze right in my steps, I didn't know what to think or say. I just stood there in shock because someone I saw three days before, someone I told jokes to, someone I gave hugs to and had conversations with had just passed away. After standing there in shock I went up to my room to try and escape it all. After everyone left I went downstairs to find my mom and stepdad sitting at the dining room table with Rose, Grandpa Tucker's girlfriend.

I sat on the couch and my mom waved me over to the dining room table. My stepdad looked at me with a face full of sorrow and said "today my father passed away." I sat there for a few seconds and simply replied "I'm so sorry." Everyone just sat silent at the table for about fifteen minutes until Rose finally said that he wished to be cremated. My stepdad agreed to that and then I was asked to go upstairs. I later found out that while I was upstairs my parents and Rose talked about where and when the funeral and wake proceedings would be held.

On May 7, 2009 we had his wake at the Pettigrass Funeral Home on West Genesee Street. It started at about 4:00 P.M and last until about 8:00 P.M. Tons of people showed up to say their goodbyes, people I knew and many I didn't. Grandpa Tucker's whole family showed up to his wake including all four of his ex-wives. His eight kids showed up along with his twelve grandchildren. He had easily over three hundred friends attend as well. Rose asked that he be buried at Forthill Cemetery. The funeral proceedings were on May 14, 2009 at 12:30 P.M. We had a private burial where only Rose, my stepdad and his eight brothers and sisters could attend. The burial lasted only twenty-five minutes. Everyone was able to attend the get together after the actual burial at the Ciezch Club. The get together had a slide show of all the pictures of Grandpa Tucker that anyone had. After we got together, everyone went home and most I haven't seen since that day. My parents both took a week off after the funeral to recuperate.

My stepdad, to this day, doesn't really talk about his dad because of how harshly it affected him, nor do I because of the effect it had on me. I am still pretty sensitive on the subject of his passing. I used to talk to him at least once a week and maybe more often than that. Then to just have him taken away from us was horrible. I wish he was here today.